Battle of Franklin

1.) Can anyone give me the list of 24 Generals involved on the Confederate side in the Battle of Franklin? I read in the book, "The Last Hurrah". It states 4 wounded, 6 KIA, and 1 wounded captured but, I see 2 were wounded and captured (George Washington Gordon and William Andrews Quarles). I appreciate the time if someone can give the list. 2.) Also is it true Schofield could have been surrounded from a cavalry and infantry attack along the river instead of a suicidal frontal assault? I just dont understand Hood's tactics so irrational!!! 3.) Also technically wouldn't John Herbert Kelly be a casualty for the Generals KIA in Franklin since, he was mortally wounded in Franklin on Sept. 2 1864?

Thanks
Thomas

By The Last Hurrah do you mean Wiley Sword's book? If so, my edition has an order of battle in the back listing all the generals.

Question 2 has been argued by Eric, Trice, and myself. It appears that it was at least possible for Hood to try something else. Whether that something else would have worked - uncertain. But it was not "attack here and now, or never have any sort of opportunity to attack again".

Question 3: As I understand it - someone who has served in the military might be able to give a better answer - KIA is just that. Killed during the action. MWIA is its own state. Also, the battle of Franklin - or the one usually recognized by that name - is after Kelly's mortal wounds.

According to my copy of Sword's book:

Commanders are brigade level unless otherwise stated.
Zachariah C. Deas: Wounded at Franklin.
Arthur M. Manigault: Wounded at Franklin
John Adams: KIA at Franklin.
Thomas M. Scott: Wounded at Franklin.
Francis M. Cockrell: Wounded at Franklin.
William A. Quarles: Wounded at Franklin.
Patrick Cleburne (Division): KIA at Franklin.
Hiram B. Granbury: KIA at Franklin.
John C. Brown (division): Wounded at Franklin.
States Rights Gist: KIA at Franklin.
John C. Carter: MWIA at Franklin.
Otho F. Strahl: KIA at Franklin.

Total: 5 KIA, 1 MWIA, six wounded.

George W. Gordon was captured, but there is no comment of him being wounded.

The others were not visbibly hurt or impaired yet.

General Gist: I think you're our first from Vegas. It would be appreciated if you'd go over to the newbie forum and introduce yourself. We don't bite. Promise.

Ole

1.) Also is it true Schofield could have been surrounded from a cavalry and infantry attack along the river instead of a suicidal frontal assault? I just dont understand Hood's tactics so irrational!!!

Thanks
Thomas

I think Hood's actions as previously discussed were rational, just unfortunate. In my own research tracking the AOT through that part of the war as well as Wilson's Union Cavalry (4th US), I've seen many orders from Hood that may me believe he was lucid, if perhaps not sensitive and a little headstrong. As for the "attack along the river", that's essentially what Loring and Forrest did during the battle. The Harpeth bends significantly to the west just as the railroad is approached from the eastern flank. That point is essentially in line with the main Federal force to the west. Some of the most severe fighting took place at that point. A small tract of land on Lewisburg Pike at the railroad has recently been acquired by the folks at Franklin and is now preserved. When Forrest spoke to Hood about a flanking effort (with infantry as well as mounted), I've been informed that Forrest was talking about flanking to the west, not the east. Hood probably knew or thought he didn't have the time, which for the attack that occurred, was probably true. Forrest had already encountered Hatch, Croxton and Hammond on the eastern crossing of the Harpeth and had been driven back that morning. Yes, Hood's decision was a costly one. To know his thoughts requires more of an insight than I've seen. Unlike Forrest, who spoke succintly and to the point, Hood was a little harder to understand. Hood had, to my meager knowledge, never seen Franklin prior to that day. Forrest was born forty miles away and had been there in skirmish and scouting efforts, not to mention just passing through, many times. If Forrest told me he could do something, I'd have stepped out of his way.

General Gist: I think you're our first from Vegas. It would be appreciated if you'd go over to the newbie forum and introduce yourself. We don't bite. Promise.

Ole

Some of us are getting up in years, and perhaps don't have that many teeth. What Ole would have said, or will say, is 'welcome aboard'.

General Gist joined us in the chat room last night. He's been vetted there, and exposed to the nitty-grubby. A more formal welcome might happen with his "hey, I'm here" introduction on the newbie forum wherein I can offer him ONE free beer.

1.) Can anyone give me the list of 24 Generals involved on the Confederate side in the Battle of Franklin? I read in the book, "The Last Hurrah". It states 4 wounded, 6 KIA, and 1 wounded captured but, I see 2 were wounded and captured (George Washington Gordon and William Andrews Quarles). I appreciate the time if someone can give the list. 2.) Also is it true Schofield could have been surrounded from a cavalry and infantry attack along the river instead of a suicidal frontal assault? I just dont understand Hood's tactics so irrational!!! 3.) Also technically wouldn't John Herbert Kelly be a casualty for the Generals KIA in Franklin since, he was mortally wounded in Franklin on Sept. 2 1864?

Thanks
Thomas

If you want to have any real sense of what Hood was thinking at Franklin, Sword's book is not the one to read. In addition to allegations of laudanum abuse (no evidence), trying to impress his girlfriend (whatever...and also no evidence), and intentionally murdering his men (rather self-defeating in my opinion), Sword's book is a series of personal slams against Hood.

It is extremely well written, but it is so biased against Hood one cannot get any sense of what was really happening in Tennessee that fall.

I would suggest reading Five Tragic Hours for a much more balanced treatment of Hood.

Eric

Thanks
Thomas

Gen. Kelly was mortally wounded during Wheeler's September 1864 raid. Although he died at the Harrison House south of Franklin, his death had nothing to do with what occurred on Nov. 30, 1864.

Eric

1.) Can anyone give me the list of 24 Generals involved on the Confederate side in the Battle of Franklin? I read in the book, "The Last Hurrah". It states 4 wounded, 6 KIA, and 1 wounded captured but, I see 2 were wounded and captured (George Washington Gordon and William Andrews Quarles). I appreciate the time if someone can give the list.
Thanks
Thomas

Are you looking for every Rebel general that was at Franklin or just a list of those who became casualties?

Eric

Here is a list of those who were engaged off the top of my head. I did not inclcude the two divisions of Lee's Corps which were not involved in the battle:

John Bell Hood
Nathan Bedford Forrest
William Hicks Jackson
Abraham Buford
James R. Chalmers
A. P. Stewart
S. D. Lee
Benjamin Franklin Cheatham
W. W. Loring
John Adams
Winfield Scott Featherston
Thomas M. Scott
Edward C. Walthall
William Quarles
Charles Shelley
Daniel Reynolds
Samuel G. French
Francis Marion Cockrell
Claudius W. Sears
Patrick R. Cleburne
Hiram B. Granbury
Mark P. Lowrey
Daniel C. Govan
John C. Brown
George W. Gordon
Otho F. Strahl
States Rights Gist
John C. Carter
William B. Bate
Henry Jackson
Thomas Benton Smith
Edward Johnson
Arthur C. Manigault
Zachariah Deas
Jacob Sharp
William F. Brantley

Hope this helps,

Eric A. Jacobson

Here is a list of those who were engaged off the top of my head. I did not inclcude the two divisions of Lee's Corps which were not involved in the battle:

John Bell Hood
Nathan Bedford Forrest
William Hicks Jackson
Abraham Buford
James R. Chalmers
A. P. Stewart
S. D. Lee
Benjamin Franklin Cheatham
W. W. Loring
John Adams
Winfield Scott Featherston
Thomas M. Scott
Edward C. Walthall
William Quarles
Charles Shelley
Daniel Reynolds
Samuel G. French
Francis Marion Cockrell
Claudius W. Sears
Patrick R. Cleburne
Hiram B. Granbury
Mark P. Lowrey
Daniel C. Govan
John C. Brown
George W. Gordon
Otho F. Strahl
States Rights Gist
John C. Carter
William B. Bate
Henry Jackson
Thomas Benton Smith
Edward Johnson
Arthur C. Manigault
Zachariah Deas
Jacob Sharp
William F. Brantley

Hope this helps,

Eric A. Jacobson

"off the top of my head"....... Your head must have more brains than mine. 'Wouldn't surprise me too much.

Telling History: Do not be overly concerned whether or not you're in the right thread. It's appreciated that keeping them kosher is attempted, but you're not going to be pilloried for doing what we all do, one time or another.

Ole

Back