Franklin Battle of Franklin TN

gentlemanrob

Major
I was wondering if there is a Battle of Franklin TN Confederate Order of Battle with commands of individual regiments online or in a book somewhere. The one on Wikipedia has a lot of flaws to it especially with Colonel Shaw Commanding the 28th Alabama. Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah I have found many the problem has always been no regimental commanders listed.

I believe Col. Jon C. Reid was commander but After Manigault was wounded he may have been promoted I he may took over after Lieut. Colonel William L. Butler was captured commanding the 28th at Nashville doing some searching..

Why the interest in the 28th AL

Wikipedia has some Order of Battles that seem to be pretty accurate.

Link: Franklin

Manigault's Brigade
BG Arthur M. Manigault (w)
Ltc William L. Butler

24th Alabama: Col Thomas P. Shaw (w&c)
28th Alabama: Ltc William L. Butler
34th Alabama: Col John C. Carter
10th South Carolina: Ltc C. Irvine Walker
19th South Carolina: Col Newton N. Davis (w)

Wikipedia has some Order of Battles that seem to be pretty accurate.

Link: Franklin

Manigault's Brigade
BG Arthur M. Manigault (w)
Ltc William L. Butler

24th Alabama: Col Thomas P. Shaw (w&c)
28th Alabama: Ltc William L. Butler
34th Alabama: Col John C. Carter
10th South Carolina: Ltc C. Irvine Walker
19th South Carolina: Col Newton N. Davis (w)

According to what I have found Shaw never commanded the 24th.

@gentlemanrob I copied this from the Official Records of the Rebellion Volume 45. If this of assistance I can give you more. The info below is from page 681
Regards
David

Organization of the Army of Tennessee commanded by General John B. Hood, G. 8. Army, December 10? 1864.*
LEE’S ARMY CORPS.
Lieut. Gen. Stephen D. Lee.
JOHNSON’S DIVISION.
Maj. Gen. Edward Johnson.
Deas’ Brigade.
Brig. Gen. Zacii C. Deas.
19th Alabama, Lieut. Col. Geo. R. Kimbrough.
22d Alabama, Capt. H. W. Henry,
25th Alabama, Capt. Napoleon B. Rouse.
39th Alabama, Lieut. Col. William C. Clifton.
50th Alabama, Col. John G. Col tart.
Sharp’s Brigade.
Brig. Gen. Jacob H. Sharp.
7th and 9th Mississippi, Maj. Henry Pope.
10th and 44th Mississippi and 9th Battalion Mississippi Sharpshooters, Ca|>t. Robert A. Bell. j
41st Mississippi, Capt. James M. Hicks. 1
Composition of the cavalry
Manigault’s Brigade.
Lieut. Col. William L. Butler.
24th Alabama, Capt. Thomas J. Kimbell.
28th Alabama, Capt. William M. Nabors.
34th Alabama, Lieut. Col. John C. Carter. 10th South Carolina, Lieut. Col. C. Irvine Walker.
19th South Carolina, Capt. Thomas W. Getzen.
Brantly’s Brigade.
Brig. Gen. William F. Brantly.
24th and 34th Mississippi, Capt. Clifton Dancy.
27th Mississippi, Capt. Samuel M. Pegg. 29tli and 30tli Mississippi, Capt. R. W. Williamson.
Dismounted Cavalry, Capt. D. W. Alexander.
not given on original return.

29tli and 30tli Mississippi, Capt. R. W. Williamson.

The 30th Mississippi was my ancestor’s unit. In many Org tables, they are listed as a combined unit. But Rowland’s history doesnt show them merging until later.

Quote:

. . . But the left gave way, General Johnson was among the captured, and Lee's Corps yielded to the common fate. The army crossed the Tennessee December 26 and moved to Tupelo, Miss., for winter quarters.

The brigade was furloughed until February 12, 1865. Under orders for the Carolinas 152 of the brigade assembled at Meridian February 14. They started east on the 18th and were detained some time at Montgomery by the Mobile campaign. In March they proceeded to Augusta and thence to North Carolina. April 3 the aggregate present of the brigade was 283. Organization of the army near Smithfield, N. C., March 31, 1865, Twenty-ninth and Thirtieth Regiments consolidated under the command of Capt. R. W. Williamson.

Back