Battle of Franklin:Drone footage of Carnton and McGavock cemetery shows perspective of how many Confederate dead from one battle

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
The cemetery comes in at 7 minutes...see the people walking gives a great perspective of just how many graves from one battle there are! Looks like each row has 15 soldiers in it on each side of the center walkway. Very sad.

See inside the plantation here-the blood stains still seen in the bedroom turned surgical room are show at 4:15 minutes in:

Last edited:
These days, one of the biggest questions concerning Carnton is/was how many Confederate General's bodies (if any) were laid on the house's porch after the Battle of Franklin. The last time that I was there, the docent would not admit that any had been placed there.

These days, one of the biggest questions concerning Carnton is/was how many Confederate General's bodies (if any) were laid on the house's porch after the Battle of Franklin. The last time that I was there, the docent would not admit that any had been placed there.
Huh...I had always heard 4. Patrick Cleburn was one of them. Either way, I just get shivers looking at the blood stains still left on the floor. I can't imagine what those poor soldiers went through after any battle!

Huh...I had always heard 4. Patrick Cleburn was one of them. Either way, I just get shivers looking at the blood stains still left on the floor. I can't imagine what those poor soldiers went through after any battle!
The worst lying dying on the battlefield unattended.

One reason I hide out in Secession and Politics. The reports of casualties of the battles were depressing.

If you think those are depressing, I've been reading a history of World War I and just finished Verdun and the Somme. One British battalion went into battle with 836 men on the first day of the Somme and suffered 836 casualties, including more than 500 killed. It's tough reading about that.

That said, Carnton is both beautiful and terrible all at the same time.

Ryan

Thank you! Your very awesome and detailed article should have a post of it's own... please post one! In fact, I see you mention the number of Generals killed at that battle. @redbob This nation needs to keep Carnton and it's cemetery preserved, and others like it, as a physical reminder of not only the war itself but to evoke the humanity, or lack thereof, within a civil war on any soil. Try as people might to "massage" history for purpose of political correctness, the fact remains EVERONE suffers during time of war and I believe hiding the severe scars on both sides is an error that can come to haunt us in the future. Empathy for others can be a powerful thing and I believe it is dwindling today with all the "me sheeple" out there.
Although reenactments pale to the actual battles...I praise all those for making an effort to at least remind citizens in real-time of this nation's, albeit imperfect, historical past and the cost of what got us to where we are today in the first place as a nation. I can only pray future generations get more inspired to partake before, pardon my expression, it's all "Gone With the Wind" I say the same about the Revolutionary War sites. "Bravo!" to all our ancestors and I challenge anyone today to ponder how hard it was even surviving without the technology we have today. The videos on the "Townsends" YouTube channel never cease to amaze me of their ingenuity and a lot of it was still used during the Civil War era as well.

Thank you also for these great words in your article. They are the perfect antidote to those who like to berate Southern pride as the "lost cause" mind set. Ohio Senator John Sherman, the younger brother of Union General William T. Sherman said:
"The courage, bravery, and fortitude of both sides are now the pride and heritage of us all. Think not that I come here to reproach any man for the part he took in that fight, or to revive in the heart of any one the triumph of victory or the pangs of defeat . . . No man in the North questions the honesty of purpose or the heroism with which the Confederates maintained their cause, and you will give credit for like courage and honorable motives to Union soldiers, North and South."

Thank you! Your very awesome and detailed article should have a post of it's own... please post one! In fact, I see you mention the number of Generals killed at that battle. @redbob This nation needs to keep Carnton and it's cemetery preserved, and others like it, as a physical reminder of not only the war itself but to evoke the humanity, or lack thereof, within a civil war on any soil. Try as people might to "massage" history for purpose of political correctness, the fact remains EVERONE suffers during time of war and I believe hiding the severe scars on both sides is an error that can come to haunt us in the future. Empathy for others can be a powerful thing and I believe it is dwindling today with all the "me sheeple" out there.
Although reenactments pale to the actual battles...I praise all those for making an effort to at least remind citizens in real-time of this nation's, albeit imperfect, historical past and the cost of what got us to where we are today in the first place as a nation. I can only pray future generations get more inspired to partake before, pardon my expression, it's all "Gone With the Wind" I say the same about the Revolutionary War sites. "Bravo!" to all our ancestors and I challenge anyone today to ponder how hard it was even surviving without the technology we have today. The videos on the "Townsends" YouTube channel never cease to amaze me of their ingenuity and a lot of it was still used during the Civil War era as well.

I don't necessarily believe in supernatural forces, but when my wife and I visited the Carnton Cemetery; it started to lightly rain on us when we entered the cemetery and kept it up until the moment that we stepped out of it. My wife who is a very down to earth person said that I had better have enjoyed it because she wasn't going back in there again.

I don't necessarily believe in supernatural forces, but when my wife and I visited the Carnton Cemetery; it started to lightly rain on us when we entered the cemetery and kept it up until the moment that we stepped out of it. My wife who is a very down to earth person said that I had better have enjoyed it because she wasn't going back in there again.
It is the "sensitive" who are perceptive to those kinds of forces. Skeptics aren't as "in tune" BTW Please share any pics/video that you have of your visit...especially something not seen in the video.

Done: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/the-battle-of-franklin-november-30-1864-a-recent-article.153539/

The cemetery comes in at 7 minutes...see the people walking gives a great perspective of just how many graves from one battle there are! Looks like each row has 15 soldiers in it on each side of the center walkway. Very sad.

See inside the plantation here-the blood stains still seen in the bedroom turned surgical room are show at 4:15 minutes in:
Almost brought me to tears

Back