Battle of Franklin detailed order of battle

erik69

Cadet
Hi everyone,
do you know where I could find a detailed order of battle for the battle of Franklin (possibly online)? By detailed I mean that I would like to know how many soldiers in each regiment and how many guns in each battery. Thanks in advance.

Man. Maybe in the official records? Battles and leaders have casualty numbers. Hood couldn't even agree with himself on total number of troops, so I don't know how much you'll get.

Man. Maybe in the official records? Battles and leaders have casualty numbers. Hood couldn't even agree with himself on total number of troops, so I don't know how much you'll get.

I found the Order of Battles in "The War of the Rebellion: A compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies (128 Vols.) The 19th Ohio O of B for Franklin is the same as the Battle of Nashville shortly thereafter. It is in our local university's library. The 19th OHIO witnessed the battle from the view of Ft. Granger.

I found the Order of Battles in "The War of the Rebellion: A compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies (128 Vols.) The 19th Ohio O of B for Franklin is the same as the Battle of Nashville shortly thereafter. It is in our local university's library. The 19th OHIO witnessed the battle from the view of Ft. Granger.

Cool. Glad you found it in the O.R.. That can be a pain to find things in.

Hi everyone,
do you know where I could find a detailed order of battle for the battle of Franklin (possibly online)? By detailed I mean that I would like to know how many soldiers in each regiment and how many guns in each battery. Thanks in advance.
The only place I've seen proper regiment numbers has been in games. They are probably present in unit histories. I do believe that Confederate practice at the time were to compile numbers at the divisional level, at least what we have for these big battles.
I will contribute what I do have, principally Cleburne's Division.
At the end of the Atlanta Campaign, Cleburne's Division numbered 3,290 effective men. This included recently returned men from Govan's brigade, captured at the battle of Jonesboro, 600 men (Symonds. Stonewall of the West. 243). I presume they formed the 1st Arkansas Consolidated Regiment, as these regiments had all lost flags (unit centered on remnants of 5th/13th Arkansas, who still had their flag). They were also joined by a company of Louisiana Cavalrymen, dismounted and fighting as infantry, assigned to Granbury's Brigade, though I do not know when this occurred.
I also know there is a good thread on the Missouri Brigade (French's Division) in the Regimental Histories forum, I believe they have numbers for that battle. I think they had 797 men there, but I might have misremembered that.

Over a decade ago, I was one of a few people looking for regimental numbers for Spring hill, Nashville and Franklin for HPS Simulations' game on Hood's Tennessee campaign. A detailed order of battle for these battles with regimental strengths and gun tubes and types doesn't exist. As Luke suggested, games are your best bet. Go to HPS Simulations or John Tiller Games and purchase that one and you will get the info you are looking for. Keep in mind that we had to estimate when detailed strengths didnt exist.

Back