Battle of Camp Wildcat.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
I past the Battle of Camp Wildcat site today on my way to Florida It was raining and I really didn't have much time, so Idid not stop. I sure hope I did not miss too much. An on line search did not show yet much of what is there today.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Oh, I hate to tell you, but it is a worthy stop. The site is a good two miles from the interstate, maybe a bit more. You drive into Hazel Green and then pick up the historic Wilderness Road and drive up to the site (alternatively I like to park near the village and walk the road to the battle site, about three miles one way - the road is also the Sheltowee Trace backpacking trail). The site has a gazebo with some well done interpretive panels and a very nice pit toilet. There are two trails, both interpreted, that really give one a feel for the terrain.

Link for the preservation group HERE.

Some pics from a few years ago. I also lead historical tours there as a standalone or part of what I call Zollie's Follies that covers Cumberland Gap, Barboursville, Camp Wild Cat, and Mill Springs.
P1012312.JPG

P1012313.JPG

P1012315.JPG

P1012317.JPG

P1012328.JPG

P1012326.JPG

P1012333.JPG

Ferd454231

Private
Agree fully w/ Darryl. Sometimes it can be exciting to get there but it is well worth the stop. H

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Next time I travel to Florida I will try to budge time in to stop and see it.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!