Battle of Balls Bluff

DavidM

Cadet
I want to learn more about the Battle of Balls Bluff. I got my hands on the following books:

Battle at Balls Bluff by Kim Holien
Balls Bluff by Byron Farwell
The Battle of Balls Bluff by Bill Howard
A Little Short of Boats by James Morgan

Are any of these not worth reading/bad and should clearly be skipped? I have heard that Morgan's is at the top of the list, in terms of what is best. I could start with one of the others but wasn't sure if I would need to un-learn anything when I get to Morgan's. Do you have any recommendations?

Claude Bauer

Sergeant
Forum Host
I want to learn more about the Battle of Balls Bluff. I got my hands on the following books:

Battle at Balls Bluff by Kim Holien
Balls Bluff by Byron Farwell
The Battle of Balls Bluff by Bill Howard
A Little Short of Boats by James Morgan

Are any of these not worth reading/bad and should clearly be skipped? I have heard that Morgan's is at the top of the list, in terms of what is best. I could start with one of the others but wasn't sure if I would need to un-learn anything when I get to Morgan's. Do you have any recommendations?
There's also an event there yearly commemorating the anniversary of the battle on a weekend near the date. It's a small event with rangers, site volunteers and Union and Confederate camps. They staged a skirmish for the spectators last year and talked with the spectators about life in the camps, weapons, etc.

DixieRifles

Captain
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Are any of these not worth reading/bad and should clearly be skipped?

"The Maps of First Bull Run--An Atlas of the First Bull Run(Manassas) Campaign including the Battle of Ball's Bluff, June-October 1861"
by Bradley M. Gottfried.

That title is long but as you see it includes Battle of Ball's Bluff. Maps #41 thru #51 covers the action at Ball's Bluff in great detail. Text is brief but does explain the events.