Battle of Anderson reenactment, April 17-19

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I should have promoted this weeks ago. If you're in the Anderson/Belton/Honea Path area of South Carolina, come see our local reenactment of one of the last skirmishes of the eastern theater. It's a smaller event, with education day on Friday, Confederate and Union camps, and usually just a few sutlers. The event location is 715 Due West Road (Hwy. 20), Honea Path, SC 29654, and admission is $10. Children under 6 are free. Battle is at 2:00 on Saturday and Sunday. I'll be there, so come by the 2nd South Carolina camp and say hello.

A little history:

The Battle of Anderson was a minor skirmish during the American Civil War, fought in Anderson County, on May 1, 1865. The battle was one of the final conflicts of the war, taking place three weeks after Robert E. Lee surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House.​
The Battle of Anderson County was fought in the closing days of the Civil War… after the issue had largely been decided. Still… while it might not have the same recognition as a “Gettysburg” or an “Antietam”, the Battle of Anderson has drawn sufficient interest, from those with a love of history, for there to be a reenactment of the clash which featured the Citadel Cadets.​
The battle… according to reenactment organizers was the last Civil War battle, or skirmish… east of the Mississippi River. According to history, the Confederate forces suffered no casualties… and the Union forces had two casualties in a skirmish that took place on May 1, 1865.​
Where the exact battle took place is a subject of debate amongst historians. While it appears to be true that it took place in what is now Anderson County… there is no consensus of the exact spot, however local historians say it was near I-85 and Shiloh Methodist Church in the Piedmont area.​

Last edited:
Is this an annual event that might be coming back? I tried looking around online and couldn't find anything.

I should have promoted this weeks ago. If you're in the Anderson/Belton/Honea Path area of South Carolina, come see our local reenactment of one of the last skirmishes of the eastern theater. It's a smaller event, with education day on Friday, Confederate and Union camps, and usually just a few sutlers. The event location is 715 Due West Road (Hwy. 20), Honea Path, SC 29654, and admission is $10. Children under 6 are free. Battle is at 2:00 on Saturday and Sunday. I'll be there, so come by the 2nd South Carolina camp and say hello.

A little history:

The Battle of Anderson was a minor skirmish during the American Civil War, fought in Anderson County, on May 1, 1865. The battle was one of the final conflicts of the war, taking place three weeks after Robert E. Lee surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House.

The Battle of Anderson County was fought in the closing days of the Civil War… after the issue had largely been decided. Still… while it might not have the same recognition as a “Gettysburg” or an “Antietam”, the Battle of Anderson has drawn sufficient interest, from those with a love of history, for there to be a reenactment of the clash which featured the Citadel Cadets.

The battle… according to reenactment organizers was the last Civil War battle, or skirmish… east of the Mississippi River. According to history, the Confederate forces suffered no casualties… and the Union forces had two casualties in a skirmish that took place on May 1, 1865.

Where the exact battle took place is a subject of debate amongst historians. While it appears to be true that it took place in what is now Anderson County… there is no consensus of the exact spot, however local historians say it was near I-85 and Shiloh Methodist Church in the Piedmont area.​
Is the Leaping Lizard restaurant near you? I think I have that right. It’s been quite a while ago.

Yes, we hold it every year. As far as I know it will be back this year. Our company is meeting in a few weeks to get our schedule ironed out, so I'll know for sure then.
I wish I could be there. My great grandmother and her family were living there when that happened. When Anderson was occupied troops threatened one family member concerning valuables and repeatedly hung him at the end of a rope (letting him down periodically). He later died from what I'd guess was a stroke. Their house remained standing until 1974. The family and the incident were noted in a diary of a young girl (best friend of my great grandma) published by the U. of South Carolina press.

I had an aunt and uncle who lived there when I was a kid and remember visiting them once.

Back