Restricted Battle flag/naval flag at protests

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Personally, I find it all nothing more than selective outrage.

For every picture one can produce of a hate group with a Confederate Flag, I can show one of a hate group with a US Flag. There's clearly a double standard in play.
That's exactly what it is. This country is headed down a slippery slope when it begins to restrict first amendment rights on a certain group of people, because another group of people disagree with their beliefs.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
I disagree. The last few years any protests where the US Flag has been carried by protesters they have been labeled "right-wing extremists" and "white supremacists" by the MSM and certain politicians. When the Confederate Flag appears among US Flag carrying protesters, the MSM and the same politicians still identifies the entire group the same way but they hammer at the Confederate Flag as extra fuel to the fire for their viewers and constituents.
I could care less what certain politicians or the MSM think. Neither have ANY credibility on most issues, let alone this one. Anyone who disagrees with either, on any issue whatsoever it seems, is labeled an extremist or racist. Those labels don't quite have the sting they once did. That's what happens when you overuse something, & misapply it so frequently.

They have been calling any protesters they disagree with, extremists & racists. Having a flag (any flag) present is irrelevant.

My point is, historically the Klan & other legit hate groups have carried the US flag just as much or more so than the CBF. Yet, we aren't talking about removing Old Glory.

atlantis

Sergeant Major
It will be interesting to see what symbols people will choose in the coming years and how they interpret those symbols and how the media will interpret those symbols.

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant
As a general rule, I'd say it comes down to all the attacks on the flag over the past few years. Attack something, tell folks they can't have it, and they'll gravitate to it. Kind of like in the gun market, when the Government says a certain model or type has to go, everyone runs out and gets one in America. Even if its a useless piece of junk...

No different on the "Battle Flag," "Naval Jack," "St. Andrew's Cross" or whatever you want to call it. Its been so widely used by so many different groups of different ideologies so often in my mind it ain't even remotely a true Confederate banner anymore. Its taken a life of its own, being whatever one wants it to be, and the Government is telling people they can't have it through stigmatizing it along with other movements the Government chooses to throw its weight behind, folks are gonna use it.

Whenever someone calls it Confederate I'm immediately reminded of Confederate soldiers calling it a "pair of blue suspenders on a red shirt" in the end, given history and so forth, the only true Confederate flags are the National ones. They ain't been widely reused, and they represented the country, everything else was a military banner, no different than other such flags of other countries or modern service flags of the different branches of the US military.
The CBF is a military ensign so designed because the Stars and Bars i.e. 1st National was too easily identified as the US Ensign. The CBF as the name implies is a soldiers flag. The Second National ( Stainless Banner) and the 3rd National both incorporated the CBF into their cantons. The CBF is the flag of the CS soldiers, has it been co-oppted by hate groups? Yes it has, for years. Will it continue to be co-oppted? Undoubtedly. The question is do these lack luster groups know the history of the historical banner they flaunt?

GwilymT

First Sergeant
The CBF is a military ensign so designed because the Stars and Bars i.e. 1st National was too easily identified as the US Ensign. The CBF as the name implies is a soldiers flag. The Second National ( Stainless Banner) and the 3rd National both incorporated the CBF into their cantons. The CBF is the flag of the CS soldiers, has it been co-oppted by hate groups? Yes it has, for years. Will it continue to be co-oppted? Undoubtedly. The question is do these lack luster groups know the history of the historical banner they flaunt?
Yes, they do and that is exactly why they chose it.

Cactus Jack

Private
If I wanna fly the Stars & Bars, I will. If my neighbor doesn't like it, that's just too bad. They can fly their rainbow/gay love flag all they want and I'll fly mine. Most importantly, as long as we do both peacefully while respecting our neighbor's space. They have their freedom of speech and I have mine.