Restricted Battle flag/naval flag at protests

atlantis

Sergeant Major
Is this fad of taking the CS naval flag and sometimes the battle flag to protests going to fade away. I as a descendant of a confederate soldier killed in action don't like it. I know they have a legal right but it is a real misuse of the flag in my opinion, these protesters aren't trying to bring back the confederacy.

Rhea Cole

1st Lieutenant
Is this fad of taking the CS naval flag and sometimes the battle flag to protests going to fade away. I as a descendant of a confederate soldier killed in action don't like it. I know they have a legal right but it is a real misuse of the flag in my opinion, these protesters aren't trying to bring back the confederacy.
Sadly, it is the flag of choose for hate groups all over the world. Few, if any, of them have any idea where the flag came from historically.

jcaesar

Private
In a situation where there are tens of thousands of people protesting for some more right leaning cause there is likely going to be at least one or two that expropriate the flags in question. Don’t expect that to change.

Last edited:

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant

As a general rule, I'd say it comes down to all the attacks on the flag over the past few years. Attack something, tell folks they can't have it, and they'll gravitate to it. Kind of like in the gun market, when the Government says a certain model or type has to go, everyone runs out and gets one in America. Even if its a useless piece of junk...

No different on the "Battle Flag," "Naval Jack," "St. Andrew's Cross" or whatever you want to call it. Its been so widely used by so many different groups of different ideologies so often in my mind it ain't even remotely a true Confederate banner anymore. Its taken a life of its own, being whatever one wants it to be, and the Government is telling people they can't have it through stigmatizing it along with other movements the Government chooses to throw its weight behind, folks are gonna use it.

Whenever someone calls it Confederate I'm immediately reminded of Confederate soldiers calling it a "pair of blue suspenders on a red shirt" in the end, given history and so forth, the only true Confederate flags are the National ones. They ain't been widely reused, and they represented the country, everything else was a military banner, no different than other such flags of other countries or modern service flags of the different branches of the US military.

Sadly, it is the flag of choose for hate groups all over the world. Few, if any, of them have any idea where the flag came from historically.
That's odd as I generally see more US flags at protests or rally's of all political leanings, certainly by different races as well, both being waved and also burned, stepped on, mistreated sometimes sadly.

Would say US flag has seemed far more universally used in overseas protests as well. Both as symbol of freedom/support and as symbol of oppression/Imperialism, and non support.

That some here and abroad choose to use or treat the US flag in a negative manner, hasn't changed how I view the US Flag at all, nor how I view the CS one either for that matter.

Last edited:

Rhea Cole

1st Lieutenant
That's odd as I generally see more US flags at protests or rally's of all political leanings, certainly by different races as well, both being waved and also burned, stepped on, mistreated sometimes sadly.

Would say US flag has seemed far more universally used in overseas protests as well. Both as symbol of freedom/support and as symbol of oppression/Imperialism, and non support.

That some here and abroad choose to use or treat the US flag in a negative manner, hasn't changed how I view the US Flag at all, nor how I view the CS one either for that matter.
Even hate groups in Russia use the “Confederate Battle Flag” as a symbol. Fortunately, Kluxers are few & far between here these days, but when they do appear the trouser suspenders flag leads the way.

danny

Sergeant
Didn't say no groups at all, but in response to your remark the CS is some flag of choice, I would disagree as the US flag seems far more used, both here and abroad. The kluxers have always used also the US flag.

*edited*
You are correct sir.

At the US Capitol incident, US flags dominated but a single Confederate flag drew press mentions.

Quaama

Sergeant
You are correct sir.

At the US Capitol incident, US flags dominated but a single Confederate flag drew press mentions.

I noticed that too: the media here also focused on the Confederate flag [every report I saw included the image of the Confederate flag being carried inside the Capitol building] despite a preponderance of US flags and other signs/banners.

Yankee Brooke

First Sergeant
Forum Host
It seems like it's always that and the Gadsden flag at these things. There's always at least one of each. The meaning of both is so warped now, it's sad.

DanSBHawk

Captain
I noticed that too: the media here also focused on the Confederate flag [every report I saw included the image of the Confederate flag being carried inside the Capitol building] despite a preponderance of US flags and other signs/banners.
There's nothing inappropriate for an American flag to be at an American political event.

DanSBHawk

Captain
Agreed. My comment was more directed towards saying what @danny said in that "US flags dominated but a single Confederate flag drew press mentions."
But that's why the confederate flag received the attention. The American flag belongs at a political event. The Confederate flag is out of place in that context. It should stay in a historical context, not in a current political context. At a current political event, it symbolizes sedition and white supremacy.

I was glad to read that the guy who brought the confederate flag into the capitol was among those identified and arrested, along with his son.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
But that's why the confederate flag received the attention. The American flag belongs at a political event. The Confederate flag is out of place in that context. It should stay in a historical context, not in a current political context. At a current political event, it symbolizes sedition and white supremacy.

I was glad to read that the guy who brought the confederate flag into the capitol was among those identified and arrested, along with his son.
So the first amendment only applies to speech, & symbols we like, or agree with ...? Or are you just as outraged at other flags displayed at political events/protests besides the US Flag..?

Because a symbol means something to you, doesn't make it true. The actual history of the CBF has been explained many times. Plenty of us that proudly display it, have explained why, & what it signifies, & means to us. Yet, so many choose to ignore actual history, & interpretations from Confederate descendants like myself. Modern politics is to blame. There is no desire for unity. No desire for tolerance of other viewpoints, or ideas. Sad in my opinion.....

DanSBHawk

Captain
So the first amendment only applies to speech, & symbols we like, or agree with ...? Or are you just as outraged at other flags displayed at political events/protests besides the US Flag..?

Because a symbol means something to you, doesn't make it true. The actual history of the CBF has been explained many times. Plenty of us that proudly display it, have explained why, & what it signifies, & means to us. Yet, so many choose to ignore actual history, & interpretations from Confederate descendants like myself. Modern politics is to blame. There is no desire for unity. No desire for tolerance of other viewpoints, or ideas. Sad in my opinion.....
People can express themselves any way they want. What they can't control is how other people are going interpret it, and the people interpreting the Confederate flag as seditious and racist have just as valid reasons to think that way as any other interpretations.

I don't have a lot of sympathy right now for first amendment pleas. Edited.

That flag belongs in a historical or heritage context. Not at a political event. That's my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quaama

Sergeant
People can express themselves any way they want. What they can't control is how other people are going interpret it, and the people interpreting the Confederate flag as seditious and racist have just as valid reasons to think that way as any other interpretations.

I don't have a lot of sympathy right now for first amendment pleas. Edited.

That flag belongs in a historical or heritage context. Not at a political event. That's my opinion.

Unfortunately, with all the new legal restrictions imposed [and being proposed such as renaming army bases, removal of numerous monuments and markers and even for historic battlefields] it seems that anything with even the smallest link to anything Confederate (and way beyond that as evidenced in this thread and elsewhere) that flag and many other things can not be used in an "historical of heritage context" either.

Pete Longstreet

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
"I tell them to their faces that they are the scum who degraded the Confederate Flag, converted it from a symbol of honor to a banner of shame, and covered it with obscenities like a roadhouse mens room wall"

- Shelby Foote

This was Foote's comment about hate groups using the Confederate Flag as their symbol.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
"I tell them to their faces that they are the scum who degraded the Confederate Flag, converted it from a symbol of honor to a banner of shame, and covered it with obscenities like a roadhouse mens room wall"

- Shelby Foote

This was Foote's comment about hate groups using the Confederate Flag as their symbol.
Personally, I find it all nothing more than selective outrage.

For every picture one can produce of a hate group with a Confederate Flag, I can show one of a hate group with a US Flag. There's clearly a double standard in play.

Personally, I find it all nothing more than selective outrage.

For every picture one can produce of a hate group with a Confederate Flag, I can show one of a hate group with a US Flag. There's clearly a double standard in play.
I disagree. The last few years any protests where the US Flag has been carried by protesters they have been labeled "right-wing extremists" and "white supremacists" by the MSM and certain politicians. When the Confederate Flag appears among US Flag carrying protesters, the MSM and the same politicians still identifies the entire group the same way but they hammer at the Confederate Flag as extra fuel to the fire for their viewers and constituents.