Battle Creek Michigan monument.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Seeing we can not travel right now, how about a nice monument. The one is in downtown Battle Creek Michigan, yes the city where you cereal can from when you were young.
20200408_173538.jpg

So was there a "battle" at Battle Creek?

Seeing we can not travel right now, how about a nice monument. The one is in downtown Battle Creek Michigan, yes the city where you cereal can from when you were young.
View attachment 354230

So was there a "battle" at Battle Creek?
Not exactly a battle . A Potawatami Indian was wounded by a survey crew in 1824 for allegedly trying to steal food .

It's nickname is Cereal City since it's home to the headquarters of Kellogg and the Post Consumer Brands division of Kraft Foods. It was a major stop on the Underground Railroad used by fugitive slaves to escape to freedom in Michigan and Canada. It was also the chosen home of abolitionist Sojourner Truth after escaping from slavery

Speaking of Michigan in the Civil War, it was mentioned in the Ken Burns documentary and the companion book that the 10th Michigan Volunteers was entirely made up of men from Flint and their commander was the mayor and their regimental doctor had been caring for them since they were boys. I wonder if that's entirely true

Speaking of Michigan in the Civil War, it was mentioned in the Ken Burns documentary and the companion book that the 10th Michigan Volunteers was entirely made up of men from Flint and their commander was the mayor and their regimental doctor had been caring for them since they were boys. I wonder if that's entirely true
No. The 10th was organized in Flint but the companies came not just from Flint , but also Saginaw , Byron , Port Huron , Almont and a few others . None of the mayors of Flint through 1863 served in the army from what I can find .

Fort Custer is close to Battle Creek. I have been to Fort Custer 100s of times, so been in or near Battle Creek more than a few times.

Were there any Civil War battles fought in Michigan? I read a story that must have its facts all mixed up, claiming that a drummer boy beat orders during a serious CW battle in MI. I can see him belonging to a MI regiment fighting somewhere else. Is there any such person as Col. Carleton Bedford (married to Wilhelmina 5-26-49)?

Were there any Civil War battles fought in Michigan? I read a story that must have its facts all mixed up, claiming that a drummer boy beat orders during a serious CW battle in MI. I can see him belonging to a MI regiment fighting somewhere else. Is there any such person as Col. Carleton Bedford (married to Wilhelmina 5-26-49)?
No Civil War battles were fought in Michigan . There was an attempt by Confederate agents to capture the USS Michigan on Lake Erie , but that was in Ohio waters.

I will look it up when I return home tonght.

I looked up "Carleton Bedford" in the Michigan Soldiers and Sailors Individual Record (Brown Books) does not contain this name.

No Civil War battles were fought in Michigan . There was an attempt by Confederate agents to capture the USS Michigan on Lake Erie , but that was in Ohio waters.
Yeah that was similar to the raid that Confederate agents from Canada did in St. Albans, Vermont as part of what they called a fifth column for the Confederacy to have spies and agents to conduct raids behind enemy lines in the North. There even a plot to send agents to cities in the north and take money from banks. After Sherman captured Atlanta, a few Confederate spies managed to invade New York City and burned down P.T. Barnum's Museum. All but one of them got away. There's a book about it called A vast and fiendish plot

I looked up "Carleton Bedford" in the Michigan Soldiers and Sailors Individual Record (Brown Books) does not contain this name.
Thank you. Either the story was made up, or it was given with a hash of meaningless details. Doesn't make sense to provide what was meant to be a moral lesson, but present a false "instance".

Yeah that was similar to the raid that Confederate agents from Canada did in St. Albans, Vermont as part of what they called a fifth column for the Confederacy to have spies and agents to conduct raids behind enemy lines in the North. There even a plot to send agents to cities in the north and take money from banks. After Sherman captured Atlanta, a few Confederate spies managed to invade New York City and burned down P.T. Barnum's Museum. All but one of them got away. There's a book about it called A vast and fiendish plot
Or my thread Confederate Saboteurs in New York City - In Comics!?!:

Back