Battle at Panther Creek, Kentucky.

Hello, I love all the research you have done on this skirmish. I was raised and currently live on Mr Sutherland’s hill. However, there are a couple things I think you’ve missed in your research. For starters, you e got the wrong hill in your diagram. Mr Sutherland didn’t own the property on the west side of 431, only the eastern side. The union marched down Livermore rd and attack up hill to the south-east. The wounded were taken back to the dr’s house on the hill of your diagram before being took down to the creek for burial (I believe they are still buried there). The original marker was on the east side marking the hill, but was moved a few years back when the new elementary school was built near where Sutherland elementary once stood.

Hello, I love all the research you have done on this skirmish. I was raised and currently live on Mr Sutherland’s hill. However, there are a couple things I think you’ve missed in your research. For starters, you e got the wrong hill in your diagram. Mr Sutherland didn’t own the property on the west side of 431, only the eastern side. The union marched down Livermore rd and attack up hill to the south-east. The wounded were taken back to the dr’s house on the hill of your diagram before being took down to the creek for burial (I believe they are still buried there). The original marker was on the east side marking the hill, but was moved a few years back when the new elementary school was built near where Sutherland elementary once stood.
Why would they bury bodies down next to a creek? Good post by the way!
Lubliner.

Back