Battery

What is a "masked battery"? The phrase is used in some of the first-person accounts on Shiloh. Thanks to anyone who can help out.
A battery that the opposition finds difficult to see -- often behind a berm or mound of dirt where the loaders weren't sharpshooter targets. The gun would be rolled up to peek over the obstruction, aimed and fired. The recoil would take it back out of sight.

A battery that the opposition finds difficult to see -- often behind a berm or mound of dirt where the loaders weren't sharpshooter targets. The gun would be rolled up to peek over the obstruction, aimed and fired. The recoil would take it back out of sight.

Note; the question Ole is answering refers to first person accounts from Shiloh...

my response:
There was only one improved position at Shiloh and that was only a "berm" of a foot or so above the terrain. All other canon at that fight were fired from the natural terrain...

Ole is,I believe, correct in his defintion, but that kind of battle did not happen at Shiloh

Note; the question Ole is answering refers to first person accounts from Shiloh...

my response:
There was only one improved position at Shiloh and that was only a "berm" of a foot or so above the terrain. All other canon at that fight were fired from the natural terrain...

Ole is,I believe, correct in his defintion, but that kind of battle did not happen at Shiloh
The terrain at Shiloh was considerably different than that at, say, Missionary Ridge or G'burg or V'burg.

Masked batteries required terrain and artillerists who knew what they were doing. And had time to prepare.

The terrain at Shiloh was considerably different than that at, say, Missionary Ridge or G'burg or V'burg.

Masked batteries required terrain and artillerists who knew what they were doing. And had time to prepare.

Agreed, however the question as put to you suggested refrences to masked batteries from the battle at Shiloh...

What is a "masked battery"? The phrase is used in some of the first-person accounts on Shiloh. Thanks to anyone who can help out.

I was pointing out that there was only one earthen improvement on the entire field and it would not qualify as a berm that would mask canon. I am still wondering why the term was even mentioned as relating to Shiloh

Thanks guys, for REALLY getting into the details! Seriously, it's all interesting.
Still working on those same sources, so will now look for some of the mentions, and post here so you can see what/where they were referring to.

I've found the reference to "masked battery." At the time I first read it, I (rather unconsciously) defined "masked" as hidden, not realizing "masked battery" had a specific military definition that also included a specific type of location and way it went into action. Continued on in my reading, until the 3rd or 4th time I saw the term masked battery, then became more curious. Checked the original definition on this thread, and briefly searched elsewhere for a definition, without success. Then asked my question in post 2 of this thread.

The relevant sentence is the final one in the quote below:
"The Union army had been pressed back within half a mile of the Tennessee. A desperate and final struggle was now to be made. About four o'clock, after half an hours comparative quiet, the deepmouthed guns again opened; the roll of musketry was heard in continuous volleys, the wild tumult, the wierd shriek, the crashing timber, all bespoke the terrible conflict. The battleground has become fearfully contracted; the enemy's shell fall into the river and explode amid the transports! Another advance is ordered. The shattered brigades of Beauregard enter the ravine and close up on the contracted lines, protected by the siege guns. 'Three different times,' reports one of the commanders, 'did we go into that 'valley of death,' and as often were we forced back.' Another reports: 'A murderous fire was poured into us from masked batteries of grape and canister and also from rifle-pits.'"

De Hass, Colonel Wills. The Battle of Shiloh. 1878. Served at Shiloh in the 77th Ohio, Sherman's division. (Unfortunately, the web page reproduces it as one big long page with no subdivisions. The paragraph quoted is paragraph number 14 from the top.) Full text here: http://www.civilwarhome.com/shilohbattle.htm

Thanks again for all your assistance as I try to understand what my gg grandfather might have seen and done. My lack of military knowledge really hinders me, hence my joining this board. Apologies for my (inadvertent) misstatements and misunderstandings, I mean no disrespect.

I am still wondering why the term was even mentioned as relating to Shiloh.
Don't know, bama, unless you count the gunboats and those cannon on Grant's final line. Think I've read of a few batteries "masked" by trees, but it's been a long time since I've read a Shiloh account.

Don't know, bama, unless you count the gunboats and those cannon on Grant's final line. Think I've read of a few batteries "masked" by trees, but it's been a long time since I've read a Shiloh account.
I would guess that many people who wrote accounts of their own experiences were not schooled enough in the proper terminology. We had a similar discussion on another often misused term "grapeshot." I learned something on that one since I started that thread assuming that since many accounts mentioned using grapeshot that those men knew what they were talking about. Apparently they considered the terms grapeshot and canister to mean the same thing, but they were indeed different.

I am still wondering why the term was even mentioned as relating to Shiloh
As I re-read the original source, I note that this was a report from a commander, unnamed. Appreciate Ole's comment that the writer may have mistakenly used the term. Another possibility is that these reports from commanders were simply the repetition of rumors, not first hand accounts. Or, coming as the comments did, in the midst of the troops that had been hit hardest, perhaps the statement reflects more fear than accuracy.
Appreciate you pointing out the puzzler about why it's mentioned about Shiloh. Hope the info I've provided helps you all answer that question. Since I didn't even know that was an issue til Bama's post, all I can do is give you all the info I've found.

Back