Battery B, 1st Michigan Light Artillery Regiment

Ole Miss

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Battery B, 1st Michigan Light Artillery Regiment was organized at Grand Rapids and joined the United States army on November 26, 1861 with 110 men.. The unit’s first action was at Shiloh on April 6 where it was heavily engaged at the South end of Sarah Bell’s Peach Orchard. Later in the day, the battery was forced to withdraw to Wicker Field where it was surrounded and captured at about 5:30 pm by the 1st​ Mississippi Cavalry. Of the 84 men present for duty:
5 WIA
56 MIA
62 Total Casualties

Five of the six cannons of this unit were captured:
One 6-pounder and four 10-pounder Parrotts

Regards
David

Ross' Battery location at South end of Sara Bell's Peach Orchard facing South across the Cottonfield where Confederates approached.

1614717841901.png

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
In the past I have attempted to discover the uniforms first issued to this unit. So far I have found limited information Here is my notes in my Michigan data base.

Battery B, 1st Michigan Light Artillery Regiment a.k.a. the 2nd Battery, a. k. a. Ross’s Battery was mustered into federal service on November 26 1861 in Grand Rapids Michigan. They were raised by Colonel Kellogg, under the authority of the Department of War, in conjunction with the 2nd​ and 3rd​ Cavalry Regiments. William H. Ross was the battery commander. Captain Owen the Assistant United States Quartermaster stationed in Detroit received an order from Washington to supply the uniforms for the 2nd​ Battery. It is also reported that the uniforms were made by Samuel Sykes & Company and it would appear that Captain Owen contracted with Samuel Sykes & Company to manufacture them. I have not found any images that show these Detroit made uniforms and it is possible that the artillery uniforms Sykes made for them were near copies of Federal artillery uniforms.

Ole Miss

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Very interesting in that I would expect Michigan would have had that information. In the South so many events took place after the ACW that quite often military information was lost
Regards
David