Barrachel Elihu “Bell” Harrell

Capt7thWvCoA

Private
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some help. I'm looking for pictures of my ancestor Barrachel Elihue " Bell" Harrell. He served in the 7th va cavalry " Glenn's" company and company a 12th VA cavalry. He supposedly served as a courier for general A.P Hill for a time. Any help on the pictures will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Pictures are such a challenge! They are wonderful to find but hard to come by. The tips we usually give people are -

1. Look on Family Search or Ancestry at other descendants of your ancestor. Some of these distant cousins may have inherited a family photo that they have shared online. You may want to contact them even if they haven't shared a photo - they may one one but wish to keep it private or not have the ability to scan and post. Family members are the most likely people to have family photos.

2. Check out some of the websites that share pictures from the war - use the company name (including any variations you know), the regiment name etc. as search terms. You may get lucky.

3. Try local history sites. Most companies were put together in a single community or area. The genealogy websites in that locality may have posted pictures from the war era.

4. Look for any books that might contain photos. There are numerous books of photos published for local history. I have one, for instance, that is just photos of Confederate soldiers from Mississippi. Your local library may own these or be able to get them.

Good luck!

Back