" Barbecue: The History of An American Institution"

Is it true they put mayonase in the sauce up in Alabama? I've heard so but find it hard to believe.Why ruin a good BBQ sauce?

Yes. It's called Alabama White Sauce. I went in to a barbecue joint in Auburn Alabama and asked for a quart off pulled pork, a pint of slaw and a dozen hush puppies. The man looked at me and snapped "We don't serve hush puppies with barbecue in Alabama, we only serve hush puppies with catfish." I said "well what do you serve with barbecue?" he answered "White bread!" The mayonnaise base sauce isn't half bad but I can't understand the "no hush puppy" rule. That ain't right.

big-bob-gibson-white-sauce.jpg

You're all reminding me of my departed friend, Ralph, who was the local barbecue guru. He was a dry rub barbecue chef, but he made sauces to go with the meat. He spoke in a wonderful, down-home dialect. I'm hearing him in my memory now: "I'm fixin' to cook up a bunch o' them ree-yibs....You in?" What a great pleasure it was to know him!

Yes. It's called Alabama White Sauce. I went in to a barbecue joint in Auburn Alabama and asked for a quart off pulled pork, a pint of slaw and a dozen hush puppies. The man looked at me and snapped "We don't serve hush puppies with barbecue in Alabama, we only serve hush puppies with catfish." I said "well what do you serve with barbecue?" he answered "White bread!" The mayonnaise base sauce isn't half bad but I can't understand the "no hush puppy" rule. That ain't right.

View attachment 217133

:sick:

Sounds like North Carolina needs to send missionaries to Alabama.

Back