Barataria LA battles

I did some research on an interesting area of Mavis Grove plantation in Barataria, Louisiana after seeing it on t.v. and noticing an old painting on the wall of a confederate soldier
It may have been a relative of Mr. Voltz. What civil war battles were fought near this historic area of Louisiana?

There was quite a lot of fighting in the general area throughout the war. Small scale stuff mostly, a lot of guerilla activity, but a few stand-up battles. I don't recall anything related to Barataria in particular. See: Christopher G. Pena, Scarred by War: Civil War in Southeast Louisiana (2004), which only mentions marches or movements "by way of Barataria Bay."

C. G. Pena also had an earlier book on the war in the LaFourche District: Touched by War (1998). The above book, Scarred by War, is actually a revised and epanded edition of the earlier one. Also Ben Butler: Beast or Patriot? about the first 9 months of the occupation of NO. His books are well researched but poorly written, and clearly published without recourse to a professional editor. The information is there, but sometimes garbled, awkwardly worded, or misspelled. Get the cheap Kindle edition -- it's somehow less painful.

How's that for an enthusiastic recommendation?

Last edited:
What civil war battles were fought near this historic area of Louisiana?
There were no battle fought near, in, or around Barataria. Any action in that area was probably Union foraging and possibly some guerrilla activity by the locals. The rail road from Algiers to Brashear City (today Morgan City) ran about 10 miles north. There were military engagements mostly along the western end of the rail road. The most notable battles were at Lafourche Crossing and Brashear City.

There are others, but in my opinion the best reference is "Blood on the Bayou" by Don Frazier. Not only does he go into detail about the actions and movements in the Lafourche District, but also provides numerous good maps. Following the narrative as the armies move around in southern Louisiana's innumerable winding bayous, lakes, and swamps is very confusing with out the maps.

Back