Baptized in blood: moral reflections on the Civil War

Georgia Sixth

2nd Lieutenant
I would like to share with you a remarkable lecture that comes at the Civil War from a very different perspective. It's a presentation at Princeton a few years ago by historian Harry Stout of Yale. He is NOT a military historian; instead, his specialty has been the history of American history. Stout raises questions that are seldom addressed, yet if we are to really learn anything from this war, we need to wrestle with these questions.

With introduction and post-lecture Q&A, it's a tad over an hour in length, so be warned. Be sure to watch the Q&A -- there's good stuff there too.

Here's the link:

Baptized in Blood: Moral Reflections on the American Civil War - YouTube

I would like to share with you a remarkable lecture that comes at the Civil War from a very different perspective. It's a presentation at Princeton a few years ago by historian Harry Stout of Yale. He is NOT a military historian; instead, his specialty has been the history of American history. Stout raises questions that are seldom addressed, yet if we are to really learn anything from this war, we need to wrestle with these questions.

With introduction and post-lecture Q&A, it's a tad over an hour in length, so be warned. Be sure to watch the Q&A -- there's good stuff there too.

Here's the link:

Baptized in Blood: Moral Reflections on the American Civil War - YouTube
I'm sure to get to reading that soon. Meanwhile, thanks for the heads up.

Ole it's a video, not much reading. The poor man is twisting himself into a pretzel trying to stay in the middle. The video does go into some of the underlying causes.

I watched the whole video, I think the War was far more complicated than how Mr Stout sees it. even in the realm of religiosity and moral ground. He is looking at in on the whole. Every soldier who fought both North and South had their own individual reasons for fighting both religious and moral . Both sides appealing to the same God for victory, both feeling their cause was just and sactified by God. I believe however God was on neither side but allowed the war to happen and end as it did with the ultimate outcome of abolition of slavery. Both sides suffered equally in loss of life, devestation of families, emotional trauma,etc. It taught this country a great lesson. That we are ALL human,therefore flawed in our reasoning and our actions.

Back