Baptist Minister & Confederate Veteran David Marion Knight

Born June 16,1838 in Alexander County, NC. The third of 13 surviving children of John Joseph Knight and Frances " Celie " Land. Three brothers, James, Thomas, and John served in Company A 22nd NC.Infantry under their Captain and distant cousin, James Martin Isbell. David enlisted at Greenville,NC. Feb.19,1862 in Co.E 39th NC.Inf :

CONFEDERATE NORTH CAROLINA TROOPS 39th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry 39th Infantry Regiment was organized at Camp Patton, Asheville, North Carolina, in July, 1861, as a five company battalion. In November the unit moved to "Camp Hill" near Gooch Mountain where it was increased to eight companies. In February, 1862, it was ordered to Knoxville, Tennessee, where two more companies were added. Its members were from the counties of Cherokee, Macon, Jackson, Buncombe, and Clay. The 39th took part in the Cumberland Gap operations, then saw action in the Battle of Perryville. Assigned to Walthall's, McNair's, and Reynold's Brigade, it fought with the Army of Tennessee from Murfreesboro to Atlanta, then endured Hood's winter campaign in Tennessee. In 1865 it shared in the defense of Mobile. This regiment lost 2 killed, 36 wounded, and 6 missing at Murfreesboro and had 10 killed, 90 wounded, and 3 missing at Chickamauga. During the Atlanta Campaign, May 18 to September 5, it reported 16 killed, 57 wounded, and 10 missing. On May 4, 1865, it surrendered. The field officers were Colonel David Coleman, Lieutenant Colonels Hugh H. Davidson and Francis A. Reynolds, and Major T.W. Peirce.
DAVID MARION KNIGHT CO E 39TH NC.jpg

David was one the 90 wounded at Chickamauga. He was surrendered and paroled at Meridian, Mississippi May 9,1865. 1880's-1890's he joined his parents and brothers, Thomas & John in the Greene / Washington counties of upper east Tennessee where he applied for a Confederate pension. Returning to North Carolina before 1900 he continued serving almost 30 years as a Baptist Pastor and Evangelist. On Dec.22,1877 he married my 2 x great-grandfather, David Land and his 2nd wife Sarah Kerley Reid while still in North Carolina. Reverend Knight may have been named after my great-great grandfather. I believe his mother was David Land's sister. David Land's first wife, ( my 2 x great-grandmother, ) Rebecca Knight Land was probably a sister to Reverend Knight's father. Guess that would make him a " double nephew ? " If there is such a term ! The Reverend's brother, James who remained in North Carolina was the " witness " on David Land's Confederate Pension application in 1901. Reverend Knight died Oct.7,1929 in Caldwell County,NC.

He looks to be a man with a boomin' voice. Definitely Baptist preacher material! Thanks for sharing some family history with us!
If I may ask, how did you go about receiving the pension application information?
He looks to be a man with a boomin' voice. Definitely Baptist preacher material! Thanks for sharing some family history with us!
If I may ask, how did you go about receiving the pension application information?
https://www.familysearch.org/civil-war Lots of free Civil War info on the Mormon Church site !

Born June 16,1838 in Alexander County, NC. The third of 13 surviving children of John Joseph Knight and Frances " Celie " Land. Three brothers, James, Thomas, and John served in Company A 22nd NC.Infantry under their Captain and distant cousin, James Martin Isbell. David enlisted at Greenville,NC. Feb.19,1862 in Co.E 39th NC.Inf :

CONFEDERATE NORTH CAROLINA TROOPS 39th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry 39th Infantry Regiment was organized at Camp Patton, Asheville, North Carolina, in July, 1861, as a five company battalion. In November the unit moved to "Camp Hill" near Gooch Mountain where it was increased to eight companies. In February, 1862, it was ordered to Knoxville, Tennessee, where two more companies were added. Its members were from the counties of Cherokee, Macon, Jackson, Buncombe, and Clay. The 39th took part in the Cumberland Gap operations, then saw action in the Battle of Perryville. Assigned to Walthall's, McNair's, and Reynold's Brigade, it fought with the Army of Tennessee from Murfreesboro to Atlanta, then endured Hood's winter campaign in Tennessee. In 1865 it shared in the defense of Mobile. This regiment lost 2 killed, 36 wounded, and 6 missing at Murfreesboro and had 10 killed, 90 wounded, and 3 missing at Chickamauga. During the Atlanta Campaign, May 18 to September 5, it reported 16 killed, 57 wounded, and 10 missing. On May 4, 1865, it surrendered. The field officers were Colonel David Coleman, Lieutenant Colonels Hugh H. Davidson and Francis A. Reynolds, and Major T.W. Peirce. View attachment 8387

David was one the 90 wounded at Chickamauga. He was surrendered and paroled at Meridian, Mississippi May 9,1865. 1880's-1890's he joined his parents and brothers, Thomas & John in the Greene / Washington counties of upper east Tennessee where he applied for a Confederate pension. Returning to North Carolina before 1900 he continued serving almost 30 years as a Baptist Pastor and Evangelist. On Dec.22,1877 he married my 2 x great-grandfather, David Land and his 2nd wife Sarah Kerley Reid while still in North Carolina. Reverend Knight may have been named after my great-great grandfather. I believe his mother was David Land's sister. David Land's first wife, ( my 2 x great-grandmother, ) Rebecca Knight Land was probably a sister to Reverend Knight's father. Guess that would make him a " double nephew ? " If there is such a term ! The Reverend's brother, James who remained in North Carolina was the " witness " on David Land's Confederate Pension application in 1901. Reverend Knight died Oct.7,1929 in Caldwell County,NC.

Jacob Eller became a Preacher. Living thru Horseshoe Ridge or Kolb’s Farm would probably help you See The Light!

Back