Baptist Associations during the Civil War

Blessmag

Captain
Several weeks ago there was a brief discussion about religion in the war. I mentioned I wrote a grad school paper that had a narrow focus on this area.
Here is a PDF of that paper.

I included the source materials and biblio as part of the paper. Most of the items were found in the Southwestern Baptist Theol. Seminary library, located in Ft. Worth, TX.

Dr. Estep was my very first seminary professor and the story is: First day he mentioned a term paper. As an accountant, we did not do term papers. So I made an appointment to visit with him. He was very gracious and said, 'tell you what. I am looking for this and this and that and I will let you read last semesters papers that my Graduate Assistant is grading. So I went to the back of his office and read and got a sense of what he was looking for. I shared this project with a Ph. D professor at the school I was working for and one look he stated, you were doing Ph.D. research. I had no clue. Always been proud of the grade !!!

Attachments

• Baptist Associations CW paper.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
Good job.

My great grandfather was a colporteur before the war and later served in several of the large hospitals in Richmond. After the war he was pastor at a destroyed church in Fredericksburg and then of the First Baptist Church in Charleston. There he met my great grandmother. Two of their daughters married Baptist ministers. My grandfather was President of the Southern Baptist Convention.

I did not follow their spiritual path but I do recognize their service and dedication. We have a very long Southern Baptist history on my father's side of the family.

Good job.

My great grandfather was a colporteur before the war and later served in several of the large hospitals in Richmond. After the war he was pastor at a destroyed church in Fredericksburg and then of the First Baptist Church in Charleston. There he met my great grandmother. Two of their daughters married Baptist ministers. My grandfather was President of the Southern Baptist Convention.

I did not follow their spiritual path but I do recognize their service and dedication. We have a very long Southern Baptist history on my father's side of the family.

I became Southern Baptist in college. My dad always told me he thought 'they are trouble makers".

I need to take the time to read your paper seriously... I've spent 30 years ministering in ABC/USA congregations and associational life is an important part of the tradition.

I am a Southern Baptist and look forward to reading your paper. Congratulations on your grade.
Regards
David

Amazing that no matter how much things change they stay the same. I found myself agreeing with the Charleston Baptist Association in their sentiments. Seems to be as pertinent today as it was then!
Regards
David

"It becomes us to enquire whether we have been suit ably humbled under the mighty hand of God, whether we have sincerely repented of our sins, and whether we are looking to the only source of support and consolation, We cannot believe that our Heavenly P’atlier will permit our destruction as a people. But have we any reason to supplse that his chastening hand will be removed from us before we have learned the lessons which he designs to impress upon us."

I am going to bookmark this so I can read it later!

Same here.

I'm not about to jump into this conversation . . . as I'm kind of a "mutt" when this topic comes up.

Dad was Baptist, Mom was Methodist, her Mom was Roman Catholic, and I have another side of the family that is Greek Orthodox.
So, I've been exposed to quite a few very different Christian denominations.

Hubby was raised Catholic, attended Pentecostal churches in the Navy and is now a Baptist minister.
Mutts are just fine by me!
I grew up as a Lutheran. Should have seen the Baptists when I forgot and crossed myself!
Regards
David

This is a good and balanced paper. I think you pinpointed the major issues and Baptist responses really well. I appreciate the inclusion of the border associations separately, and the unique challenges their political position put them in. Colportage was a major ministry of Northern Baptists, as it was Southern, accomplished in cooperation with the American Bible Society. I appreciated that you tracked the evolution of prayer in the churches and your analysis is spot on. BTW - Philadelphia Baptist Association is still a large association, actually a region unto itself, part of the American Baptist Churches, USA (ABC/USA).

Same here.

I'm not about to jump into this conversation . . . as I'm kind of a "mutt" when this topic comes up.

Dad was Baptist, Mom was Methodist, her Mom was Roman Catholic, and I have another side of the family that is Greek Orthodox.
So, I've been exposed to quite a few very different Christian denominations.

I'm not talking either.

However, I will say we out here in the boonies have a Greek Orthodox church just up the road that has all the domes on the roof. It's the only other one I've ever seen other than the one that was located in a small town where I lived in Nevada forty years ago. Don't know if the Nevada one is still in service.

We also have a Buddhist monastery about equal distance down the road and it has a prayer wheel the size of a small house.

I graduated from Baylor in '68, back when it was still a Southern Baptist school. My best and favorite History teacher (my major) was Dr. Rufus Spain. He had graduated from Vanderbilt and had published his final paper as "At Ease in Zion." about how the Southern Baptists had dealt with the social issues from the end of Reconstruction to WW1.

While visiting Waco three years ago, I encountered Dr. Spain in his front yard. We had a very pleasant conversation; he was still sharp and very active -- drives himself, President of the Baylor Retired Professors group, etc -- at age 97.

I meant to also state this was typed on a Smith Corona portable electric typewriter. Excuse the white out marks and other things a word processor would catch today.

Largely typed between 1 and 3 a.m. 2nd shift job and came home and did homework for school, including typing. This school also, at that time, took the approach of a whole bunch of smaller papers instead of a major project.

I meant to also state this was typed on a Smith Corona portable electric typewriter. Excuse the white out marks and other things a word processor would catch today.

Largely typed between 1 and 3 a.m. 2nd shift job and came home and did homework for school, including typing. This school also, at that time, took the approach of a whole bunch of smaller papers instead of a major project.

You had an electric ? You kids don't know what hard work is. I bet you had a calculator, too. We had to hit those keys good and hard and all we had was a slide rule - which some of us couldn't afford - and they'd freeze up when we had to walk to school in the blizzards. :wink:

I'm not talking either.

I will point out one more quick educational fact for non Baptists.

The Baptist's are NOT all one unified denomination.

Over the years, I've watched some fights between various Baptist groups that rival the historic Protestant/Catholic 'Troubles' in Northern Ireland.

OK, that's all.

I shall say no more about religion.

learned to type on a Royal (?) PICA type manual typewriter as a sophomore in high school.

However, I will talk about 1970s typewriters.

:bounce:

If I remember correctly, I think 'Royal" was only a brand.
Seems my Dad may have had an old Royal model.

PICA was a style of lettering format.
The other was Elite.

Think of it as a 1970's version of iPhone and Android.

:smile:

Back