Bannermans CSA Plate The Original Reproduction

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
Here is the plate that I have been teasing on. Francis Bannerman the noted military surplus king sold these in his catalogs back in the early 1900. Many CS vets would purchase these but since the address on the original shipping box is in Wisconsin I would say it wasn't a CS vet. He had acquired all the stuff from the Atlanta arsenal after the war and among the items were the original molds for the "Atlanta" style CSA plate and made these reproductions. Having it in the original shipping make it very unique. Thanks @Lanyard Puller
DSCN1827.JPG
DSCN1829.JPG
DSCN1830.JPG
DSCN1831.JPG
DSCN1832.JPG

Wow! The plate looks almost new. I also noticed the 4 cent Stamp. First time I seen one in a long time. Can we still get these at the Post Office?
1957 4¢ “Old Glory”
Issue Date: July 4, 1957
City: Washington, D.C.
Quantity: 84,054,400
Printed by:
Bureau of Engraving and Printing
Printing Method: Rotary Press
Perforations:
Color: Dark blue and deep carmine

This stamp was the first issue using the U.S. Flag as the central design. It was also the first issue to be printed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in its natural colors in one operation - with the new multicolor Giori press.

This looks very much like my first buckles, one Confederate but the other a US oval. They were purchased as a pair around 1959 or 1960 from a mail-order catalog and the main difference were in the cast-in and bent-over studs that were different from these prongs. I could wear the CSA by fitting the studs around the buckle of me regular belt. I once wore it to school (8th grade) and had a typical lunkhead coach ask if it stood for Cub Scouts of America.

Here is the plate that I have been teasing on. Francis Bannerman the noted military surplus king sold these in his catalogs back in the early 1900. Many CS vets would purchase these but since the address on the original shipping box is in Wisconsin I would say it wasn't a CS vet. He had acquired all the stuff from the Atlanta arsenal after the war and among the items were the original molds for the "Atlanta" style CSA plate and made these reproductions. Having it in the original shipping make it very unique. Thanks @Lanyard Puller
View attachment 319610View attachment 319611View attachment 319612View attachment 319613View attachment 319614
It's good to have friends...…..

Very neat!

Question: Were the hooks on the back of the buckle part of the mold or were they added after the buckle came out of the mold?
They are part of the mold as its the original mold. The original plates when they were cast were sticking stright up and were bent over before it cooled. One of the best way to tell on originals is to look for the stress marks on the front of the plate as when they were bent it would pull on the face. The one below is one I dug back in the early days and you can see this on the face.
cwt.jpg

Back