Banana Pudding, the Comfort Dessert

My wife makes some great bananna pudding, but the recipie calls for instant pudding. The trick, however, is mixing whipped creme and sour creme in with the pudding. She got the recipie when we were living in Knoxville, at a church pot-luck. It makes it much lighter than the usual treat. My daughter made a big tray of it last night.
The addition of sour cream is different but i'm sure it would work.

Another Banana Pudding recipe. This one is from "Old Time Recipes To Enjoy", The Kentucky Explorer".

"Two cups of sugar, three eggs, one cup of milk, one cup of water, one and one half teaspoons of flour, one box vanilla wafers, and six bananas. Mix together the egg yolks, water, milk, flour and sugar. Cook until thick, then place a layer of sliced bananas in bottom of the pan, or baking dish, and then add a layer of vanilla wafers crumbled fine, and pour half of the custard over this. Repeat with custard on top. Cover with meringue and brown in the oven."

One can never have enough banana pudding.

Another Banana Pudding recipe. This one is from "Old Time Recipes To Enjoy", The Kentucky Explorer".

"Two cups of sugar, three eggs, one cup of milk, one cup of water, one and one half teaspoons of flour, one box vanilla wafers, and six bananas. Mix together the egg yolks, water, milk, flour and sugar. Cook until thick, then place a layer of sliced bananas in bottom of the pan, or baking dish, and then add a layer of vanilla wafers crumbled fine, and pour half of the custard over this. Repeat with custard on top. Cover with meringue and brown in the oven."

One can never have enough banana pudding.
Do you know why we must have vanilla wafers with banana pudding?

Banana Pudding is usually associated with the south . However, it is made all over the country. It is usually made of repeated layers of sweet vanilla custard or pudding, cookies, usually vanilla wafers and sliced bananas and placed in a dish and served with whipped cream or meringue on top.

One of the earlest recipes was in "The Kentucky Receipt Book", by Mary Harris Frazer in 1903. This recipe did not include wafers.

Mary Harris Frazer's Banana Pudding

"Take 1/2 dozen bananas, pell and cut in pieces, an inch thick, put in baking dish and pour over custard made in the following manner: Custard- one pint of milk, 3 eggs, beat the yolks light, add milk, also 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Have the milk boiling, add the eggs and let it cook, until it thickens; when cool pour over the bananas. Make a meringue with whites of the eggs and granulated sugar, put on top of custard, set in oven a few minutes to brown. Serve at once."
My wife makes killer banana pudding with a recipe she got off a vanilla wafer box about 40 years ago.

Found this recipe for Banana Pudding. It was handout at the South Carolina Visitor's Center off I 95. Just love banana pudding.

1 box vanilla wafers
3 tablespoons of all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
4 eggs, separated
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 to 5 bananas

Combine 1/2 cup of sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Stir in three egg yolks and 1 whole egg, beaten. Stir in milk. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Layer vanilla wafers, sliced bananas and pudding mixture. Repeat layers, ending with mixture on top. Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Spread over pudding. Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes or until golden brown.

Found this recipe for Banana Pudding. It was handout at the South Carolina Visitor's Center off I 95. Just love banana pudding.

1 box vanilla wafers
3 tablespoons of all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
4 eggs, separated
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 to 5 bananas

Combine 1/2 cup of sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Stir in three egg yolks and 1 whole egg, beaten. Stir in milk. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Layer vanilla wafers, sliced bananas and pudding mixture. Repeat layers, ending with mixture on top. Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Spread over pudding. Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
A southern staple for dessert after some BBQ.

Back