Ball's Bluff

Union_Buff

Major
Okay folks, mum was going over a map of Virginia and it seems like we're going to visit Ball's Bluff during our week long stay in DC. Could anyone shed some light on the battle and give me some statistics on it?

What is the proposed itinerary so far, Buff? Were I in your place, I don't think I'd spend time at Ball's Bluff. It's gonna take a half day at a place that exhibits only the early fumblings of the Union. It's not at all significant except to fumble along with it. So far as seeing the Civil War as you might want to see it, it represents only the jumps and squeeks you get when learning to drive a stick-shift.

Just a thought.

Ole

But if it's one of the thousand places your ancestors fought, you might want to say you stood there. I personally want to go to Ft. Pemberton, a nasty snaky place if I the pictures are right....just because of that. Important in the war? Nah....but I know we lost 2 family there.

Okay folks, mum was going over a map of Virginia and it seems like we're going to visit Ball's Bluff during our week long stay in DC. Could anyone shed some light on the battle and give me some statistics on it?
Ball's Bluff is near the town of Leesburg, about an hour from Washington, DC. It is located alongside the Potomac and is reached by driving through a housing estate/development. It contains the smallest National Cemetery in America.

Interpetative signage was installed a couple of years ago that guides the visitor through the relatively small battlefield.

Although it was a small battle, it was quite a bloody one for the Federal forces, largely due to inept leadership.

Nearby is a cable ferry that is a fun way to get either to or from the battlefield. If you are interested, there is an upscale fashion outlet mall nearby as well as a Wallmart, so both ends of the price scale are covered.

Let us know your plans. Manassas or Antietam are within an hour's drive and several large caverens a only a bit further away.

I like Balls Bluff and always find time to stop there when passing through Leesburg. I enjoy walking the interpretive trail, and always kind of get the creeps when I'm standing at the point looking out across the Potomac River. I ponder what I would do if I were a Union soldier standing there during the battle. Kind of a pick your poison situation. Creepy.

Although probably not a destination battlefield, I think it is well worth a stop and a great opportunity for a leg stretch.

What is the proposed itinerary so far, Buff? Were I in your place, I don't think I'd spend time at Ball's Bluff. It's gonna take a half day at a place that exhibits only the early fumblings of the Union. It's not at all significant except to fumble along with it. So far as seeing the Civil War as you might want to see it, it represents only the jumps and squeeks you get when learning to drive a stick-shift.

Just a thought.

Ole

Itinerary so far Ole is a 10 hour, 36 minute journey around Gettysburg, then separate trips to Ball's Bluff, Manassas, Alexandria, Fredricksburg, Rappahannock Station and Leesburg.

:angel:
Itinerary so far Ole is a 10 hour, 36 minute journey around Gettysburg, then separate trips to Ball's Bluff, Manassas, Alexandria, Fredricksburg, Rappahannock Station and Leesburg.

Think you need 10 hours and 41 minutes to do Gettysburg justice. :angel:

Leesburg is a pleasant town. Look at the Confederate soldier monument that have hundreds or thousands of look alikes all over the south. The courthouse is interesting and has a Mosby connection. Lunch in a small town, non-touristy cafe across from the courthouse is an interesting experience. At one such place cafe staff and customers assured my wife and I that Nancy is doing much better at least three times. We had no idea who she was or what was her problem (we assumed medical); but that is life in a small southern town and should be sampled. Balls Bluff is maybe 15 minutes away.

Try driving up to Gettysburg via Route 97. This is the route of Stuart's ride and the VIth Corps to Gettysburg. It is maybe 10 minutes longer than the Highway but has a 1863 "feel " about it.

I assume you will be staying in Alexandria. Excellent choice. Close to public transportation to D.C. and the Airport. It is a safe area with a very active street life, plenty to do.

Did not mean to deprecate Leesburg and Ball's Bluff, but I'm suspecting that Buff wants to wallow in battlefields as much as possible. And that who makes the best grits is not high up in his list of priorities.

Given that mum is doing this to feed his appetite for absorbing as much CW action as is possible, mum is going to have to be refreshed with some shopping from time to time. (Ergo, Harpers Ferry.)

I don't know where Buff's mind leans but, if I were him, I'd skip Ball's Bluff in exchange for a few more hours at Manassas. Or a few more hours at Gettysburg. Or a few more hours at Antietam. And, I'd build some flexibility into the schedule. Few things ruin a tour more than running out of time because you have to be somewhere else in 10 minutes. Flying in from New Zealand does require some rigid pre-planning, but I'd recommend some flex wherever possible.

Thinking out loud.

Ole

Try driving up to Gettysburg via Route 97. This is the route of Stuart's ride and the VIth Corps to Gettysburg. It is maybe 10 minutes longer than the Highway but has a 1863 "feel " about it.
Kinda what I was getting at. Take that 10 minutes and imagine the troops and troopers traversing that same route. They're not zipping along at 65 mph. (What's that in kph?) If that blows the schedule, the schedule is too tight.

And, I'm wondering how mum and Buff are going to handle driving on the right side of the road in a car with the wheel on the left.

Ole

Did not mean to deprecate Leesburg and Ball's Bluff, but I'm suspecting that Buff wants to wallow in battlefields as much as possible. And that who makes the best grits is not high up in his list of priorities.

Given that mum is doing this to feed his appetite for absorbing as much CW action as is possible, mum is going to have to be refreshed with some shopping from time to time. (Ergo, Harpers Ferry.)

I don't know where Buff's mind leans but, if I were him, I'd skip Ball's Bluff in exchange for a few more hours at Manassas. Or a few more hours at Gettysburg. Or a few more hours at Antietam. And, I'd build some flexibility into the schedule. Few things ruin a tour more than running out of time because you have to be somewhere else in 10 minutes. Flying in from New Zealand does require some rigid pre-planning, but I'd recommend some flex wherever possible.

Thinking out loud.

Ole

I tried Ole, but mum said we need to stick to the schedule, so we're having so many hours at Ball's Bluff, Antietam, etc.

Thinking out loud.

Ole

Bit testy? I didn't come up with the Leesburg/Ball's Bluff idea. Just trying to give some hints to enjoy themselves. Sorry for trying to be helpful.

Thinking out loud.

Ole

Mum will have time to shop in New York and Washington, so she's easily catered for Ole :smile:

Back