Baked Hominy Grits

Barrycdog

Major
Sunny South, Jun. 18, 1881 -- page 3

Baked Hominy Grits - One quart milk, one cupful hominy, two eggs, a little salt, salt the milk and boil, then stir in the hominy and boil for 20 minutes; set aside and fully cool; beat eggs into a stiff froth, and then beat them well and hard into the hominy; bake half an hour.

Ok, now what are hominy grits, please? The same as regular grits? We have good friends, lived up here for 10 years then fled back to S.C.- one of the couple thought grits were native nectar, the other half of the couple thought the South was trying to poison itself with them. Why don't we have them up here, or do we and they're called something else?

You know, I have had hominy as exploded chunks of corn but hominy grits I believe are grits with small yellow bits of hominy in them.

Expired Image Removed

what is it?

Hominy grits are made from hominy—which is corn that has been soaked in a dilute lye solution in order to make the kernels swell. The hominy is then dried and ground. Grits are available in several different grinds from fine to course.

Grits of all kinds are a serious Southern tradition. They're eaten at the breakfast table like oatmeal or cream of wheat. They're classic served as a main dish with shrimp and cheese, or served up for supper as a side dish. Grits are also baked into casseroles, and they can be chilled, sliced, and pan-fried like polenta.

The picture above is baked cheddar grits with bacon. I bet this would be great with scrambled eggs and sawmill gravy.

OHHH, it's corn! Thank you! I can see where a form of ground corn would be amazing- corn bread, from corn flour, is the most addictive substance on the planet, ever, warm from the oven with too much butter? I seriously can't bake it frequently or would weigh in at 600 pounds. I'm guessing I'd better stay away from grits too frequently, also. :smile:

I wonder why grits never really caught on in the north, since corn would be a very common harvest here, too.

Hominy (and its various forms) comes up in quite a few Mexican dishes. The Southeast people were farmers, as the Navajos were in the Southwest - corn was so important it features in a number of ceremonies such as weddings.

It's a little amazing the number of grinds a kernel of corn can come in!

Back