1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Modern Bacon Apple Backstraps

Discussion in 'Foods of the Civil War' started by Viper21, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Viper21

Viper21 First Sergeant

I don't personally cook a lot. My other half is a fantastic cook so....

However, I do have a couple things I whip together that I'm famous for. Amongst friends, & family at least :smile:

Thought I'd share one. I would imagine Venison was consumed whenever possible during the Civil War. So, minus a few of my particulars, this could very well have been done in the time period :smile:

For starters, you need a back strap. For those unfamiliar with this term, a back strap is slang for the tenderloin. It's the most preferable cut of meat (besides "the fish"). It resides along the spine (both sides) running from the base of the neck, to the rear. It is generally the most tender cut of meat, & the most common cut used for steaks. The hind quarters are used for roasts, jerky, etc.... at least in my house.

Back straps: 1
    Jug of Apple cider
    pack of bacon (peppered preferred)
    Seasoned Salt
    Black Pepper
    Montreal Steak Seasoning.

The first thing I do is cut my strap into medallions, or small rounds. Usually about 6oz or so.

I will then tenderize them (poke holes) with something like this:

[​IMG]

Then I will put them in a bowl full of Apple Cider. Not juice, cider. You can get some apple flavor with juice but, cider penetrates the meat better. It also tenderizes as well as flavors. So, I use cider not juice. Let sit in fridge, covered, overnight. I usually soak them 24hrs before they hit the grill.

A couple hours before grill time, I will pull them out of the bowl, & prepare them for the grill. This involves, sprinkling them with seasoned salt, & pepper. I will usually "pat" the salt & pepper into the meat so to speak. Once both sides are covered, I will wrap a piece of bacon around them, usually fixed with a toothpick. Lastly, I'll top them with some Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Here's what it usually looks like at this point:

[​IMG]

At this point, I will put them on a plate, & set in the fridge until grill time. Usually only an hour or so.

On occasion I will also cut up a couple medallions & put em on skewers. ala:

[​IMG]

Grill to your liking. I prefer medium. This "recipe" has turned many, "I don't like Venison" types, into full born Venison lovers. :D

This is only one of my methods but, it's probably the crowd favorite.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel

Looks really good,but when we refer to backstrap we are talking venison.

mofederal, Eleanor Rose and Viper21 like this.
  4. Viper21

Viper21 First Sergeant

Yes.

5. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Viper21 very nice. I would say this a recreated period recipe. It has your twist but the main ingredient is venison.

Thus, the Food Forum is awarding you the "Special Cook Award for period /recreated food."
    Congratulations and many thanks for this recipe.

Eleanor Rose, nitrofd and Viper21 like this.
  6. Viper21

Viper21 First Sergeant

:smile: Thank you ! :cool:

7. NH Civil War Gal

NH Civil War Gal Sergeant Major

Congratulations @Viper21!

I have a question - I don't have venison so what could beef cut could I use to create this?

mofederal, Eleanor Rose and donna like this.
  8. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel

Tenderloin,,,,thats filet mignon.

9. Viper21

Viper21 First Sergeant

A filet as nitrofd suggests would be best :smile:

10. Yankeedave

Yankeedave 1st Lieutenant

You had me at venison. As I scrolled down it only got better!

11. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel

We also like to make sausage out of venison,adjust your seasoning and you have great eating.

12. Viper21

Viper21 First Sergeant

I'm not much on venison sausage, or ground. Have tried both many ways. Anymore, it's steaks out of the straps, a couple roasts out of the hind quarters, & the rest becomes jerky, or canned venison.

Used to be lots of deer harvested annually. Being an empty nester now, usually just one or two. Which, ends up being enough meat to last the year.

13. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel

We always had what we called a nice ham out of the top of the hindquarter..good eatin.

14. Steph-GB

Steph-GB Private

Mmmm does sound and look very tasty!! Think I would prefer it with beef though! It’s making me hungry now!

15. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel

Beef is also great,but variety is the spice of life.

16. Steph-GB

Steph-GB Private

That is true! May have to get adventurous with food and try something new!

mofederal and Eleanor Rose like this.
  17. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel

It pays to be adventurious with food as you will get many pleasant surprises,there have a few items i have not been thrilled by,

18. Viper21

Viper21 First Sergeant

Same here. Typically, I'll marinate said "ham" for a day. Then, take a fresh garlic & slice some thin slices, & insert them in various places before putting it into the crock pot with potatoes, & carrots. Usually hit the pot early morning, to be ready for 5-7 pm feast. Yum..! Usually just falls apart, no knife needed. Typically just a fork :smile:

19. Steph-GB

Steph-GB Private

Ahh yes deffo! I’m generally not that much of a fussy eater and do like to try new things.. it’s the cooking of new things that tend to puzzle me more .. incase I totally make something edible very inedible !

mofederal and Eleanor Rose like this.
  20. Viper21

Viper21 First Sergeant

I've literally had several people who claimed, "I don't like venison" try steaks I'd prepared this way. ALL of them were blown away. All of them have eaten venison I've prepared again. One in particular now allows me to hunt their property with the condition that they get some steaks, & a roast or some jerky. :smile: This person was one of the "I don't like venison" types, as well as not a fan of hunting.

21. Steph-GB

Steph-GB Private

Hmm see I don’t even know if they sell venison in any of our local shops.. maybe the butchers might.. I shall have to pop up there at some point! We are not lucky enough to hunt our own food and do it the cool way! Yup this site just makes me want to change countries so much more every day !

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)