Author of the Mississippi Secession Ordinances was later a US Supreme Court Justice

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
Mississippi’s Ordinances of Secession are often referenced here when connecting the war to slavery. What is never discussed is that they were drafted by Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar who after the Civil War became a US Congressman, a US Senator, Secretary of the Interior and lastly confirmed as an associate Justice of the US Supreme Court.

Additionally:

Lamar was later featured in John F. Kennedy's Pulitzer Prize-winning book, Profiles in Courage (1957), for his eulogy speech for Massachusetts Senator Charles Sumner (R) in 1874, along with his support of the findings of a partisan congressional committee regarding the disputed presidential election of 1876, and for his unpopular vote against the Bland-Allison Act of 1878.

L.Q.C. Lamar was a native of Georgia and was married to Virginia Longstreet, 1st cousin to Lt. Gen James Longstreet. He raised the 19th Miss. Regt. (in which my g-grandmother’s two older brothers enlisted in 1861), and was named its Lt. Colonel. He was disabled with vertigo during the Peninsular Campaign, was appointed Confederate Ambassador to Russia and Special Envoy to France and Great Britain.

Thank you for the fill in on Lamar, and also on his house. What surprised me most was the idea of such a powerful Democrat with such close ties to Longstreet, and the General's turn to Republicanism after the war. This will take some time for me to assess.
Lubliner.
You're quite welcome.

Not to be impolite, but this decision must have been some other Lamar, being the one appointed by President Cleveland in 1887 died in January 1893. Possibly double-check?
Lubliner.
Thanks! You are correct!
I leapt at the chance to credit Lamar because I have been doing some research on the Frank case.
Lucius Q. C. Lamar (aka, the right Lamar) was on the Court for five years. Perhaps his most famous case was The Late Corporation of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints v. United States, 136 U.S. 1 (1890), in which he dissented in ruling that the government had the power to seize the assets of the LDS church.

Thanks! You are correct!
I leapt at the chance to credit Lamar because I have been doing some research on the Frank case.
Lucius Q. C. Lamar (aka, the right Lamar) was on the Court for five years. Perhaps his most famous case was The Late Corporation of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints v. United States, 136 U.S. 1 (1890), in which he dissented in ruling that the government had the power to seize the assets of the LDS church.
That case was a bit long in the tooth for a first read, much less a second review. I wasn't sure I had it right. Thank you for your acknowledgement.
Lubliner.

Very interesting! Was he associated with any particular decisions?

I believe what he was most noted for and the reason Kennedy/Sorensen selected him as one of the 8 Profiles was because of his moving eulogy of Chas. Sumner on the Senate floor. It was a speech of reconciliation, not entirely popular in his home State, that apparently hit the right notes needed at the time. Here is a link to a synopsis along with an excerpt from the eulogy.

https://missreport.wordpress.com/tag/lqc-lamar/

I doubt that anything will be found that proves why Lamar was included in "Profiles..", but I love the fact that JFK's j.v. football coach at Harvard was LQC Lamar's great-grandson, Henry N. Lamar.
It is more likely that a Georgetown professor who was hired to help with the book influenced the decision to get him included.

Last edited:
Lubliner
"Thank you for the fill in on Lamar, and also on his house. What surprised me most was the idea of such a powerful Democrat with such close ties to Longstreet, and the General's turn to Republicanism after the war. This will take some time for me to assess."

Augustus Baldwin Longstreet, the Chancellor of the University of Mississippi---located in Oxford, MS--- was L.Q.C. Lamar's father in law and uncle to General James Longstreet. Lamar organized the 19th Mississippi Infantry and saw action during the Peninsula Campaign against McClellan in 1862 which explains the close ties with General Longstreet after the war, I believe. August Longstreet is buried very near to Lamar in St. Peter's Cemetery in Oxford.
Regards
David

L.Q.C. Lamar was a native of Georgia and was married to Virginia Longstreet, 1st cousin to Lt. Gen James Longstreet. He raised the 19th Miss. Regt. (in which my g-grandmother’s two older brothers enlisted in 1861), and was named its Lt. Colonel. He was disabled with vertigo during the Peninsular Campaign, was appointed Confederate Ambassador to Russia and Special Envoy to France and Great Britain.
Czarist Russia never recognized the Confederacy. In fact no nation ever recognized the Confederacy. Therefore how can Lamar be an ambassador to Russia?
Leftyhunter

Lefty: You are right and although appointed he never actually went there. He went to England and Paris and his appointment not having been ratified, he returned on a blockade runner. Mary Chesnut reported that Lamar, "...unconfirmed by the Senate, he had to come home..."

Back