Lincoln August 26, National Dog Day - a Tribute to Fido

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
Around the year 1855, Lincoln brought home a stray dog who became a loving family member and a faithful companion to Tad and Willie. They gave him the name " Fido." When Mr. Lincoln was elected President, he decided not to bring Fido to D.C. since since he was skittish around crowds and loud noises. Also the long train ride would've been stressful. Instead, they left the dog with family friend John Roll and his sons. On May 3, 1865 when Lincoln’s body returned to Springfield, the Rolls brought Fido to see his former master. During Lincoln’s funeral, Roll took Fido to F. W. Ingmire’s photography studio in downtown Springfield where the photographer captured several images, including the one seen here.

Fido_the_dog.jpg

Pope Francis wrote: "our indifference or cruelty towards fellow creatures of this world sooner or later affects the treatment we mete out to other human beings. We have only one heart, and the same wretchedness which leads us to mistreat an animal will not be long in showing itself in our relationships with other people." Gandhi wrote: “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

So much basic character is made transparent by the treatment of dogs during the ACW.

How much my life has changed because of owning our present dog, Cali. She is a bout 8 years old, and a Yorkie/Chou mix, and we have had her for about four years.

It was the right time for us to actually have a dog as a pet, as we were both retired, moved into our new home in Ocala, Florida, and no longer had any children at home anymore. Our house seemed big and empty, when we finally got all moved in and set up. Then came Cali.

She was a frightened, little pup, at the Marion County Humane Shelter, scared of me, for sure, less so of Sue. She was a rare, small dog at the shelter, which housed mainly larger dogs, like Pit Bulls and such. Sue liked the idea that Cali was of a sort that didn't shed and was so cute with her big, brown eyes.

Four years later, we have a joyous relationship with our 'daughter' and she has helped us stay on our toes, exercise, and seek out opportunities to see her run, play, and interact with other people and other dogs. There are many times when I wondered who had rescued who and who is really being trained during our four-year long relationship. But it's all good, for all of us.

I once gave a quote on @LoyaltyOfDogs dogs other thread, the one that features pictures of dogs in Civil War Camps, that I think of often now days. I can't remember the author or the exact wording, but it goes something like this:

"Until one has loved a dog, a part of one's heart remains unawakend."

I have found that quote to be an utter and complete truth.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

How much my life has changed because of owning our present dog, Cali. She is a bout 8 years old, and a Yorkie/Chou mix, and we have had her for about four years.

It was the right time for us to actually have a dog as a pet, as we were both retired, moved into our new home in Ocala, Florida, and no longer had any children at home anymore. Our house seemed big and empty, when we finally got all moved in and set up. Then came Cali.

She was a frightened, little pup, at the Marion County Humane Shelter, scared of me, for sure, less so of Sue. She was a rare, small dog at the shelter, which housed mainly larger dogs, like Pit Bulls and such. Sue liked the idea that Cali was of a sort that didn't shed and was so cute with her big, brown eyes.

Four years later, we have a joyous relationship with our 'daughter' and she has helped us stay on our toes, exercise, and seek out opportunities to see her run, play, and interact with other people and other dogs. There are many times when I wondered who had rescued who and who is really being trained during our four-year long relationship. But it's all good, for all of us.

I once gave a quote on @LoyaltyOfDogs dogs other thread, the one that features pictures of dogs in Civil War Camps, that I think of often now days. I can't remember the author or the exact wording, but it goes something like this:

"Until one has loved a dog, a part of one's heart remains unawakend."

I have found that quote to be an utter and complete truth.

Sincerely,
Unionblue
They are our four legged children, with fur.😉

They are our four legged children, with fur.
People often say that. But I have found that the dogs I've lived with are friends and colleagues. We all have shares in running this household: they are in charge of security and alerts while I am tasked with providing meals, good sleeping places and companionship. That I need work to earn money for expenses is meaningless in comparison to the Important things. And my experience has been that they are right.

Back