August 20 National Bacon Lovers' Day

I'm sure avocado, jalapeños, finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and such would be delicious. But personally I love the basic BLT :

Grocery store white bread, lettuce, fresh tomatoes , regular full fat mayonnaise/Miracle Whip and bacon.

A minimum of two packages of bacon per each BLT. :thumbsup:

I'm sure avocado, jalapeños, finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and such would be delicious. But personally I love the basic BLT :

Grocery store white bread, lettuce, fresh tomatoes , regular full fat mayonnaise/Miracle Whip and bacon.

A minimum of two packages of bacon per each BLT. :thumbsup:
Oh, my mouth is watering, but my arteries are screaming,"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

Right now I'm simmering a pot of pinto beans and a package of bacon ends - going to throw in some chilis and tomatoes, then hot up the frying pan for fry bread! It's a winter dinner but somehow it seems right for now! Bacon ends are an interesting item - good for a lot of bean and soup dishes. Think maybe some grilled corn would top it off nice? Even though I didn't plant this year, we got some good corn out there right now! Corn and bacon is another favorite side dish around here - pretty good.

I have but one regret, and that is that a previous cardiac means I cannot have bacon anymore. It's way too high in salt content, since I am on a salt-restricted diet. So for those who can indulge, please have a slice or two for me!

The phrase "bring home the bacon" doesn't appear in Google ngram viewer until after 1910, which makes a medieval origin unlikely. I wonder what the real origin is.

The phrase "bring home the bacon" doesn't appear in Google ngram viewer until after 1910, which makes a medieval origin unlikely. I wonder what the real origin is.

I thought it had to do with catching that greased pig. If you caught him, you kept him - and his bacon!

The boxing explanation seems much more plausible, and fits the Ngram frequency. Also, Mrs. Gans was black, which means the phrase quite possibly had origins in the recently-enslaved community who had received their weekly rations in the form of salt pork.

Back