August 13, National Filet Mignon Day

I always grill the filet mignon with bacon wrapped on the sides. Personally I think it holds the juice in best, especially when someone wants it more on the medium-well side as a opposed to medium.
In my experience, bacon wrapped around the steak does indeed make for a better, juicier steak. Another useful trick is to coat the top of the filet (or chateaubriand, the thicker cut of the tenderloin) with a thick coating of course salt when cooking in the oven. The salt holds in the juices: yummy!

I agree, and do our filets similarly except with heavy cream and cognac to make it au poivre!

Dayum that sounds good !

IMHO, au poivre is the best way to prepare a filet.

Personally, I'm old school.

Give me a big ole well marbled rib eye cooked medium over charcoal with some sea salt & fresh ground pepper . . . and I'm in heaven !

Dayum that sounds good !

Give me a big ole well marbled rib eye cooked medium over charcoal with some sea salt & fresh ground pepper . . . and I'm in heaven !
Do you use the charcoal chimney to get the coals going? I love mine.

Dayum that sounds good !

Oh yeah, a marbled ribeye or strip steak on the grill is my favorite way to prepare steaks. The hardest part of it is finding a source for quality, consistent cuts of meat. At present, we are getting ours from Sams. They tend to offer consistency in quality.

I used to use a charcoal chimney like @Mrs. V does, but since I started getting my news digitally, I find myself lacking newspaper to start it. I have to go with the good old lighter fluid. Problem with that is you have to make sure all your coals are gray before putting meat on or you'll end up with that lighter fluid taste if you don't! You don't have to worry about that with the chimney!

Problem with that is you have to make sure all your coals are gray before putting meat on or you'll end up with that lighter fluid taste if you don't!
No doubt .

On a typical Saturday night, my preferred method is to get the Weber Kettle up to about 900 degrees on one side and then throw the rib eyes on in the middle for about three minutes per side.

Steak Nirvana !

Interestingly enough, we are! Browned/braised in a cast iron skillet and finished in the oven. Also having boiled then seasoned with garlic potato, and green beans. Probably a salad as well.

I agree, and do our filets similarly except with heavy cream and cognac to make it au poivre!

The very best au poivre I've ever had was in Natchez back in the 1990's.
The name of the restaurant escapes me.

But I do remember it was on Franklin Street, a few blocks from the bluff.

That restaurant is long gone.

Regarding National Filet Mignon Day, I do love a good filet . . . but give me a well marbled ribeye anyday.

Cooked to medium rare over simple charcoal.

With just a little salt & pepper.

:hungry:

Back