August 13, National Filet Mignon Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
August 13 is National Filet Mignon Day. It is usually a cut from a steer or heifer and is the steak cut of beef taken from the smaller end of the tenderloin of the beef carcass.

The word filet mignon is French for "cute fillet" or "dainty fillet".

The tenderloin that the filet mignon comes from is usually the most tender of cut of beef and is considered by many the most desirable and can be the most expensive.

The term filet mignon was first used in the book, "The Four Million" by O'Henry. It was used as a term for a symbol of romance and decadence throughout the book.

From: http://info.strassburgersteaks.com/blog/the-need-to-know-filet-mignon

My better half is vegetarian so cooking meat inside is frowned upon ... Except some seafood. She will eat that.

So looking forward to spring soon down here and cooking steak on the BBQ. :D

"... a symbol of romance and decadence" ... I'm learning lots on these forums!

Well, I'm not big on red meat (not a vegetarian, just not my first choice), but when I get a craving for it like I do every so often, this is my go-to choice. That satisfies my craving for a while!:smile:

I always grill the filet mignon with bacon wrapped on the sides. Personally I think it holds the juice in best, especially when someone wants it more on the medium-well side as a opposed to medium.

August 13 is National Filet Mignon Day. It is usually a cut from a steer or heifer and is the steak cut of beef taken from the smaller end of the tenderloin of the beef carcass.

The word filet mignon is French for "cute fillet" or "dainty fillet".

The tenderloin that the filet mignon comes from is usually the most tender of cut of beef and is considered by many the most desirable and can be the most expensive.

The term filet mignon was first used in the book, "The Four Million" by O'Henry. It was used as a term for a symbol of romance and decadence throughout the book.

From: http://info.strassburgersteaks.com/blog/the-need-to-know-filet-mignon
Because it is so lean, the filet mignon is the least flavorful premium cut of beef. That's why it is often served with a sauce or wrapped in bacon. I prefer the ribeye or prime rib. The Porterhouse is king, being made of both a filet and a New York strip. The bone adds a lot of flavor to the filet.

I must say I do prefer a Porterhouse steak to a filet mignon. (Ack! :rofl: Dm you, autocorrect! I had filet minions. They love to serve but probably don't want to be served!) My grandfather would probably have run it through the grinder for good hamburger...but, of course, he was a bit of a philistine!

That said, though, filet mignon is one of those cuts you can mess up if you're not careful! When it's done well - :thumbsup: Very few steakhouses or restaurants, even the swank ones, know how to cook meat right anymore. Maybe I'm just a crotchety old buzzard - it was all better back in my day, sonny! - but it seems to me a lot of places catering to carnivores don't know how to cook meat - even chicken, and I didn't think you could mess that up! :laugh:

Yes, indeed I have had an unfortunate experience with my favorite meat people - the Cattlemen's booth at the county fair. The Cow Belles always put out a bbq beef sandwich to die for...this year, apparently they meant it literally. Come on, ladies, you've always done this right!

I like Filet Mignon, but I am a bigger fan of Ribeyes and "T" Bones. It is a good cut, but for the most part we tend to go for the cuts we love. I don't care for Bacon wrapped anything. I prefer it as just Bacon. So I rarely cook filets. Of course I love my steak blood rare or rare. My tastes of course. I like the filet but rarely, but it is good that it has it's own day. So it can shine by itself.

We had tbone on the grill the other day. Delish! I do like filet mignon, and often get it on the " discount". I like to sear mine in a cast iron pan with some seasonings, then finish it in a 350degree F oven for 10-15 mins. Deglaze the pan with red wine, and you are talking some good eats! Oh! I often cook up mushrooms in the skillet when I am deglazing. Serve on top of your steak.

Back