August 11, 1868 The death of THADDEUS STEVENS deprives the Radical Republicans of their Leader

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
I agree the radicals did lose their fearless leader and moral compass. This excerpt maybe right that he could not transition to reconcile with the South but one can argue he knew the South and treating them as conquered lands would have been the right direction to go in. The paper was wrong he was not unchristian and his action being unjust against the south after the war...

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
I agree the radicals did lose their fearless leader and moral compass. This excerpt maybe right that he could not transition to reconcile with the South but one can argue he knew the South and treating them as conquered lands would have been the right direction to go in. The paper was wrong he was not unchristian and his action being unjust against the south after the war...
The N.Y. Times was considered a moderate or conservative Republican paper at the time. It generally opposed the Radicals.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
In the end, his plans may half changed the south instead having to wait hundred years for the south to catch up with the rest of us. Even Grant in retrospect thought the South should have been under military rule for tens years before being returned to the union.
We know that Johnson's Reconstruction plan was a failure. Stevens was reacting to that failure.

We know that Johnson's Reconstruction plan was a failure. Stevens was reacting to that failure.
I believe Stevens had his own vision for Reconstruction but he never really able to put it forth. I think his conquered land speech was the correct path to follow after the war...

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)