ENDED Auction: FS Period Civil War Medical Books

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. I have placed a bid or two.

Some time ago, I received help from a member of the Society of Civil War Surgeons in translating John Mosby's wounds into what they would have been thought of in that time period. It was printed in the November/December issue of Southern Cavalry Review, the newsletter of the Stuart-Mosby Historical Society. I am a member of both although I believe that it's time to renew my membership in the SCWS.

Why thank you for the bids Lady Val. Sorry it took me so long to respond to the post but I don't check the board like I should. I am not familiar with Mosby's Wounds. Is that a medical book?

Yes I am familiar with the Society of CWS. Are they still active? I enjoyed their site some years back but have not been there in sometime. It was interesting.

First, yes the Society is still active - at least I have heard nothing to the contrary.

As for the wounds suffered by Col. John S. Mosby during his partisan career: I wanted "input" (God, how I hate such words! :tongue: ) on how these wounds would have been treated, the prognosis for recovery at the time etc. for The Southern Cavalry Review, the Newsletter of The Stuart-Mosby Historical Society. I am the editor of the newsletter.

Dr. Wheat of the Society was most kind in assisting me and produced a very sound, interesting and informative article. It must be remembered that Mosby fought behind enemy lines. The standard treatment of wounds afforded by regular - rather than "irregular" - soldiers was of necessity different. One not only had to treat the wounds, but at the same time prevent the capture or death of the wounded man at the hand of pursing federals. This was especially true as Mosby's fate was the rope if he were to be captured and, of course, that would obviate any treatment - successful or otherwise! :angel:

I did win one of the two books upon which I bid and payment has been made. I hope that the rest of your auction is as successful as this one appears to have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back