NF Attention all book authors!

Non-Fiction
We would like to compile a list of all CWT members who are published book authors. We want to list all your Civil War-related book titles, with links embedded to each book, if possible, as well as to your personal website or blog, if you have one.

In order to make that list, which would be a permanent but continually updated reference for users of CWT, we need to hear from you authors. Please post on this thread with the information described above.

We are hoping that this will give a publicity boost to our resident authors, as well as provide a ready reference for members and guests as a guide to some great books on our shared passion, the American Civil War.

Note: We want to list only books already published, and only Civil War-related titles; these include both straight history and historical fiction. We will update this reference constantly, which means we will depend on you authors yourselves for updates. Details on how to do that will be provided once we get this thing established.

Thank you for your assistance!

@Eric Wittenberg, @BelleBlackburn, @Rob9641, @Hiram, @Cavalry Charger, @Blessmag, @phil1861, @gunny, @jimrada, @Championhilz, @Dave Wilma
If you're a published author CWT member and you don't see your name tagged, don't be offended, it's just because I had a brain freeze or I don't know about you yet! Please chime in on the thread.

My first book, Civil War Alabama, was published in 2016. My second, 1865 Alabama: From Civil War To Uncivil Peace, was published in 2017. My third, dealing with the Lincoln Assassination, will be released later this year.

Please check this out if you have a curiosity for learning more about an understudied subject such as civil war medicine. My book is much more than a collection of letters. Learn about the US Sanitary Commission, Jonathan Letterman, amputations, how lint was used, and the ambulance corps. The letters are intertwined with what is going on during the war as well. Thank you!

4F325A04-35AE-4FAD-912B-E4E501DA3782.jpeg

We would like to compile a list of all CWT members who are published book authors. We want to list all your Civil War-related book titles, with links embedded to each book, if possible, as well as to your personal website or blog, if you have one.

In order to make that list, which would be a permanent but continually updated reference for users of CWT, we need to hear from you authors. Please post on this thread with the information described above.

We are hoping that this will give a publicity boost to our resident authors, as well as provide a ready reference for members and guests as a guide to some great books on our shared passion, the American Civil War.

Note: We want to list only books already published, and only Civil War-related titles; these include both straight history and historical fiction. We will update this reference constantly, which means we will depend on you authors yourselves for updates. Details on how to do that will be provided once we get this thing established.

@Eric Wittenberg, @BelleBlackburn, @Rob9641, @Hiram, @Cavalry Charger, @Blessmag, @phil1861, @gunny, @jimrada, @Championhilz, @Dave Wilma
If you're a published author CWT member and you don't see your name tagged, don't be offended, it's just because I had a brain freeze or I don't know about you yet! Please chime in on the thread.

My new book "From Fading Lines: The Civil War Era" is described at www.fromfadinglines.com

From the introduction:
On a sunny June day in the year 1861, a fourteen-year-old boy walked along the rows of Union Army tents in the meadows beside the Connecticut River north of Hartford. For barely three weeks the temporary Camp Mansfield had been home to a thousand young men, who were training to become the first-in-the-nation regiment responding to President Lincoln’s call for troops to serve three-month terms. Many, including the boy’s cousin Samuel Hatfield, were college students. The youngster asked for inscriptions in his autograph book from soldiers who, three days hence, were due to strike their tents and depart by steamer to go to Washington and to war.
A month earlier, in an enclave of North Carolina settled mostly by Scottish immigrants, Ella McQueen bid farewell to the first of her cousins who was entering into the service of the Confederate States Army. In the following months and years one after another of her relatives departed for military duty, and she awaited reports in the newspapers about their progress. In May of 1864, it was a sad young woman who pasted into her “Boudoir Album” clippings detailing the recent deaths of three of her soldier-cousins, the youngest of whom was just seventeen years old.
These and the other stories included in this book emerged from research into old autograph albums. From fading lines that kept alive the memories of schoolmates, friends and relatives, appeared inscriptions, with names, dates and places that connect the reader to individuals who lived through the Civil War era. The original owners of the albums were mostly mothers, wives, daughters and cousins of the subjects of the stories.
Whether their names were recorded in albums before, during or after the War, these Americans all experienced that terrible event in one way or another. For this book I selected equal numbers of narratives from North and South. Whereas a majority of the subject individuals were soldiers, there were also pharmacists, merchants, politicians and an inventor, all of whom were embroiled in the conflict.

My Album’s open, come and see
What! Won’t you waste a thought on me?
Write but a word, or two, or three
And make me love to think of thee.

John Barclay Fassitt , Gettysburg Medal of Honor recipient
Inscribed when he was thirteen years old in his own album,
Mount Holly, New Jersey, 1850

Schiffer Publications published my book, Three Cheers for the Chesapeake! History of the 4th Maryland Light Artillery, last year. You can see a review of it here: https://cwba.blogspot.com/search?q=rick+richter

51VRY7chzXL._SX356_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Rick Richter

Hi,

My 27th published work connected to American and Napoleonic military history has just been released. The current volume is the second in a multi-volume series titled "Robert E. Lee at War." The newest title in the series is Robert E. Lee at War, Hope Arises From Despair: Lee, the Seven Days and His Art of War. Please see the following links:

http://leeatwar.com/

and

https://www.facebook.com/leeatwar/?fb_dtsg_ag=AdxXZWG9nivJcq9-OSSD1mcIDcptSLwfu2Ra_hZZM1AcXA:Adyy0r5wPEfvAU-8allJdfm5f9-9iQlyez6WuKMjsaNcuQ

Another title of possible interest to this group is Last Chance for Victory: Robert E. Lee and the Gettysburg Campaign. Just two of the many links involving this book are as follows:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0306812614/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

and

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/CSAF-Reading-List/2008-CSAF-Reading-List/

Also, the first volume of the "Robert E. Lee at War" series is titled Robert E. Lee at War: Tragic Secessionist, has one of many links shown below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0985357223/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

Regards,

Scott Bowden

My book has just been listed on Amazon for preorder, releases May 14.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1595559272/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

Hi all, just finding this thread and wanted to add my newly published book to the list!

Bible and Battlefield: 7 Lessons from the Civil War for Our Christian Faith Today

As you may have guessed, it is a bible study based around people, places, events, stories, etc from the Civil War. It is my first published work, VERY excited! My hope is to do more installments.

Are self-published books considered for this thread? If not, it possibly leaves out local regimental histories as these usually won't bring profits but add immensely, I think, to the total library of Civil War history.

Are self-published books considered for this thread? If not, it possibly leaves out local regimental histories as these usually won't bring profits but add immensely, I think, to the total library of Civil War history.
According to the OP, this thread is looking for any CivilWarTalk member who is a published author of a Civil War-themed book, nonfiction or fiction. I don't see any bar to self-published works; in fact, I think a few authors specified that that was how they were published. If you are a published author of a Civil War-themed book, self-published or otherwise @19thOhio , please list your book(s) here. We love books! :smile:

Back