Attempting to understand US Navy Ensigns, Jacks, and Commision Pennants.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I know US Navy ships flew three different US flags; the ensign, the jack, and the commission pendant. I know there were 14 different size Navy ensigns, 8 size jacks, and 8 different size commission pennants. What I am having difficulty understanding is the number of white stars on the commission pennants. The larger pennants had 13 white stars while the smaller size pennants had but 7 white stars. I assume the 13 white stars stood for the original 13 colonies, but why did the smaller pennants have 7 white stars? Was there some symbolism I am missing?

rebelatsea

1st Lieutenant
Hi Mark, The British Ensign became the Union flag after the Act of Union incorporating Ireland. The jack portion refers to it's use on a short pole (can't remember it's name offhand) mounted on the bowsprit of men o' war.

AndyHall

Colonel
I assume the 13 white stars stood for the original 13 colonies, but why did the smaller pennants have 7 white stars? Was there some symbolism I am missing?
I'm not aware of any specific symbolism relating to the seven stars; I think it was more a matter of 13 stars being too many as a practical matter for small boat pennants. There is a certain mystique about the number seven, though, and using an odd number of stars is aesthetically appealing.