Atlas to accompany the official records of the union and confederate armies

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

cryptkeepin

Cadet
I found a large stack of papers in an abandoned farm house that was about 200 years old, there is a title page with this name by Daniel S. Lamont. It says it was made in Washington, U.S. government printing office in 1895. I am not really educated on the civil war at all but i figured these were old and might have some historical value. Does anyone have any more information on this? It has been water damaged but it looks like the pictures inside were kept in tact. I could take pictures of it but i didn't really want to start opening it up and destroy everything. I am not sure what to do with it or where I should take it to get it looked at, that's why I signed up for this forum. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
I found a large stack of papers in an abandoned farm house that was about 200 years old, there is a title page with this name by Daniel S. Lamont. It says it was made in Washington, U.S. government printing office in 1895. I am not really educated on the civil war at all but i figured these were old and might have some historical value. Does anyone have any more information on this? It has been water damaged but it looks like the pictures inside were kept in tact. I could take pictures of it but i didn't really want to start opening it up and destroy everything. I am not sure what to do with it or where I should take it to get it looked at, that's why I signed up for this forum. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
The Official records are books that got much of all the communication on both sides. Telegrams, official orders, reports, communication between officers and the central government and so on.

It is something like 70 volumes (Many is 2-4 books)

here is a description of the first series (with 53 volumes)
Series I: Contains the formal reports, both Union and Confederate, of the first seizures of United States property in the Southern States, and of all military operations in the field, with the correspondence, orders, and returns relating specially thereto, and, as proposed is to be accompanied by an Atlas. In this series the reports will be arranged according to the campaigns and several theaters of operations (in the chronological order of the events), and the Union reports of any event will, as a rule, be immediately followed by the Confederate accounts. The correspondence, etc., not embraced in the "reports" proper will follow (first Union and next Confederate) in chronological order.

(I made the part about the atlas bold)

So it sound like it is that atlas. Nice find. No idea if it is worth anything but I would think many people with an interest in the war would like to own it.

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host
Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. Be Sure To Stop By The Weapons & Ammo Forums. Nice find. As far as value goes with out seeing photos I really can't say. They made reprints of this atlas and I was given one by my good friend @redbob if it had been a first edition he would be a GREAT friend:D just kidding Bob

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Welcome from North Mississippi! If you live near a university take it to the library and seek the archivist. He/she will be able to advise you of what you have and how best to take care of it.
Regards
David

redbob

Captain
Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. Be Sure To Stop By The Weapons & Ammo Forums. Nice find. As far as value goes with out seeing photos I really can't say. They made reprints of this atlas and I was given one by my good friend @redbob if it had been a first edition he would be a GREAT friend:D just kidding Bob
Some people just wouldn't be happy if you hung them with a new rope.

cryptkeepin

Cadet
Here’s some photos for you guys, I have only looked a couple of pages so far. I am located not too far from Chicago, and will start looking for an archivist. I didn’t want to mess with them too much, but if there is anything I should look for or any other pictures u would like to see please let me know.

Attachments

ErnieMac

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Daniel Lamont was the Secretary of War during Grover Cleveland's second term. It was during his tenure that portions of Atlas were published.

I have this big monster that purports to accompany the official records.
20170527_150402.jpg

Gdgros

Private
Nice fine you found in the old house just goes to show there are still records out there hidden in areas waiting to be found

A couple of years ago I bought some old medical journals from my gg grandfather he used during the civil war and in one of the journals I found a 1865 lincoln assassination new york herald newspaper the day of the assassination

Saint Jude

First Sergeant
Welcome! I have the same monster as Jimklag. Poorly organized but great when you find what you're looking for!