Limited Atlanta to remove ‘Lion of the Confederacy’ statue from Oakland Cemetery

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
When George Orwell wrote 1984, it wasn't meant to be an instruction manual. The book is horribly depressing when you read it today.
The Ministry of Truth? Big Brother? I guess sooner or later they will turn their attention to Stone Mountain.

The motto from 1984:
Ignorance is strength.
Freedom in slavery.
War is peace.
I think society is taking more of a Aldous Huxley direction.

Stone in the wall

2nd Lieutenant
Member of the Month
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Blue Ridge Mountains, Jefferson County WV
Can't get any lower than to mess with any Unknown Soldier. $33,000 is a lot of money, and it will have to be stored and moved again. It seems it just it wasn't in their agenda to invest much less $ on a security camera. A well known Civil Rights group has already been working their propaganda on Stone Mountain for years.

Last edited:

danny

Sergeant
Can't get any lower than to mess with any Unknown Soldier. $33,000 is a lot of money, and it will have to be stored and moved again. It seems it just it wasn't in their agenda to invest much less $ on a security camera. A well known Civil Rights group has already been working their propaganda on Stone Mountain for years.
How do they make a living?

RedRover

Corporal
A few months ago I would have said your crazy and disagreed with your above stated post. Now.... I agree with you 100%. There seems to be no end in sight when it comes to anything Confederate related.

Scientists have already determined Civil War graves are toxic waste dumps, filled with arsenic...

"A Civil War-era cemetery filled with plenty of graves—things seldom stay where you want them to," says Benjamin Bostick, a geochemist at Columbia University. "As the body is becoming soil, the arsenic is being added to the soil." From there, rainwater and flooding can wash arsenic into the water table.
That means old cemeteries full of deceased soldiers and civilians present a real problem for today's homeowners. The federal government says it's only safe for us to drink water with 10 parts per billion of arsenic or less. But in 2002, a USGS-sponsored survey in Iowa City found arsenic levels at three times the federal limit near an old cemetery."

Smithsonian: Arsenic and Old Graves, 2015.

Of course, those killed in battle were not likely to be embalmed with arsenic, but their bodies being filled with lead bullets....

Condemning cemeteries is an old game in developing areas. More recently, in Tampa, the old Fort Brooke Cemetery sits beneath the Lightning Ice Hockey arena. Across the bay, in St. Petersburg, the Rays Baseball stadium was built in part over Evergreen, Moffett, and Oaklawn cemeteries. In the latter case a chemical plant was nearby, and the city declared these cemeteries toxic... before the construction began.

J. Marshall,
Hernando, FL

Stone in the wall

2nd Lieutenant
Member of the Month
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Blue Ridge Mountains, Jefferson County WV
Arsenic: is an element that occurs naturally in rocks and soil. Lead comes out of the earth it's self. Would be much more lead left on the battlefield than would be left in dead bodies. If true would not the slaughter of the buffalo cause the same problems?

carptrash

Private
The Lion was slated to be removed in 30 days from the middle of August. it is now twice that long and I can't find that it was moved. ANyone know?