Limited Atlanta to remove ‘Lion of the Confederacy’ statue from Oakland Cemetery

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
Looks like the city council is ready to remove another monument from a cemetery.

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-ne...y of Atlanta is,place it in temporary storage.

The city of Atlanta is set to remove a 127-year-old statue that memorializes the Confederacy from historic Oakland Cemetery.​
The City Council passed a resolution Monday evening declaring that the city should remove the “Lion of the Confederacy” monument and place it in temporary storage. The statue has been repeatedly vandalized over the years with graffiti and, in one case, covered in red latex.​
Georgia state law makes it difficult for local governments to relocate or remove Confederate monuments, though the updated law adopted last year does include language that allows for “appropriate measures for the preservation, protection and interpretation” of monuments.​
-------------​
The City Council approved a $33,000 contract with Superior Rigging and Erecting Co. to remove the lion statue. The city has not said where it will be located long-term​

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
I was just about to post a thread about this, when I noticed yours @Andersonh1 :wink:

So much for, just the ones on display at courthouses, public squares, & parks, etc.... :mad:

Makes me sick. This is a memorial to the dead, in A CEMETERY.....

The statue was built by T.M. Brady and dedicated on Confederate Memorial Day in 1894 to honor the 3,000 unknown Confederate dead resting in Oakland Cemetery.

Disgusting. 🤮

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
How long until they remove Confederate headstones, or until they dig up remains and move them? That may sound absurd, but not all that many years ago moving a mass gravestone like the Lion would have been declared absurd. We're just fearmongering, it'll never happen.... and yet it has. I wouldn't put anything past the zealots at this point.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
How long until they remove Confederate headstones, or until they dig up remains and move them? That may sound absurd, but not all that many years ago moving a mass gravestone like the Lion would have been declared absurd. We're just fearmongering, it'll never happen.... and yet it has. I wouldn't put anything past the zealots at this point.
Already happening. Gen Nathan Bedford Forrest.... for starters. He won't be the only one either.

RSMorris

Corporal
I live just outside Atlanta in Fayetteville. I despise Atlanta with every fiber of my being. From the mayor to the council and everyone in between. They are trying their best to make it a 'woke" city. Everyone of them should be recalled.

I had written a poem about that lion last time I was there last year.

Lion of The Confederacy

https://soundcloud.com/user-162911644%2Flion-of-the-confederacy

On a hill overlooking Atlanta
General Hood watched it unfold
Soldiers by the thousands lie dead
A sight that should never behold

Unnamed graves now strewn about
No marble nor markers of stone
No way for families to visit
Heroes lying forever alone

In the heart of Georgia
Resting peacefully outdoors
A gallant lion now silent
This lion no longer roars

Carved from a beast of marble
Resting on a ton of granite
On this hallowed ground lies
Most sacred lion on the planet

Land of three thousand souls
Unknowns who will never be known
Fought below a hill in Atlanta
Unknowns who defended their home

Grasping his sacred battle flag
Lying a peaceful mortal sprawl
Heroes at last have forever
The grandest stone of them all

R. S. Morris

Deo Vindice
(with God as our Protector)

Last edited:

Booklady

Sergeant
See Rod Dreher's Law of Merited Impossibility: "That will never happen, and when it does you bigots will deserve it."

Pete Longstreet

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
A few months ago I would have said your crazy and disagreed with your above stated post. Now.... I agree with you 100%. There seems to be no end in sight when it comes to anything Confederate related.

I remember not so many months ago that the anti American history voices/leaders, told us that if the monuments/flags/relics were moved to a cemetery or museum, that would be (in their learned opinions) an acceptable location in order to properly interpret their meanings and also get them out of public view. [out of sight-out of mind and out of any future questions]
When you give in to voices/leaders with a destructive agenda, they will not stop until they reach their goal.

In the early 1990's, I heard similar voices tell America, that if you take down the CSA flags flying atop the AL and SC capital buildings, then we will all get along and they will not want to remove/alter any more history. Those that agreed, were wrong!

Once the door is opened, it becomes difficult to shut it.

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I remember not so many months ago that the anti American history voices/leaders, told us that if the monuments/flags/relics were moved to a cemetery or museum, that would be (in their learned opinions) an acceptable location in order to properly interpret their meanings and also get them out of public view. [out of sight-out of mind and out of any future questions]
When you give in to voices/leaders with a destructive agenda, they will not stop until they reach their goal.

In the early 1990's, I heard similar voices tell America, that if you take down the CSA flags flying atop the AL and SC capital buildings, then we will all get along and they will not want to remove/alter any more history. Those that agreed, were wrong!

The end goal here is obviously to remove or destroy it all so that the lessons of history are forgotten and can be replaced with whatever narrative those erasing our history wish to impose. There are plenty of positive lessons and examples that can be drawn from the sacrifice that the Confederate soldier made, and if nothing else, we should feel some empathy for those who did what they could to mark the graves of these unknown men with this monument. But empathy with the sorrows and losses of an earlier generation are in short supply these days. Judgment and condemnation are rampant. It's an ugly sight.

RSMorris

Corporal

Amen to everything you said.

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
I live just outside Atlanta in Fayetteville. I despise Atlanta with every fiber of my being. From the mayor to the council and everyone in between. They are trying their best to make it a 'woke" city. Everyone of them should be recalled.

I had written a poem about that lion last time I was there last year.

Lion of The Confederacy

https://soundcloud.com/user-162911644%2Flion-of-the-confederacy

On a hill overlooking Atlanta
General Hood watched it unfold
Soldiers by the thousands lie dead
A sight that should never behold

Unnamed graves now strewn about
No marble nor markers of stone
No way for families to visit
Heroes lying forever alone

In the heart of Georgia
Resting peacefully outdoors
A gallant lion now silent
This lion no longer roars

Carved from a beast of marble
Resting on a ton of granite
On this hallowed ground lies
Most sacred lion on the planet

Land of three thousand souls
Unknowns who will never be known
Fought below a hill in Atlanta
Unknowns who defended their home

Grasping his sacred battle flag
Lying a peaceful mortal sprawl
Heroes at last have forever
The grandest stone of them all

R. S. Morris

Deo Vindice
(with God as our Protector)
This is just another “pay no attention to the man behind the curtain moment.” Crime and violence will continue to increase, schools will continue to fail, destructive culture will continue to be celebrated. Eventually they’ll run out of monuments to blame but I’m sure they hope not soon. A scapegoat for failure is always a plus.

RSMorris

Corporal
So much for the idealistic thoughts of transferring such monuments to cemeteries.

What made it even worse is the bums who voted to remove it then tried to claim it was in order to preserve the Lion for future generations. They couldn't even admit why they are doing it. They have a loophole in the act the council themselves voted in and they are now going to use it to remove all the monuments in Atlanta. There is also a large obelisk at Oakland I am sure is on the chopping block. How can they be preserving these for future generations when they will never be seen again?

John Winn

Major
Yep. Not very long ago the U. of Wisconsin removed a huge boulder because generations ago it was referred to using a racial slur. So now simple rocks are offensive and have to be removed. These days I'd not be surprised by much of anything the cancel culture people would try to do.

As a cemeterian, I find the removal of monuments in a cemetery to be repulsive.

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
The end goal here is obviously to remove or destroy it all so that the lessons of history are forgotten and can be replaced with whatever narrative those erasing our history wish to impose. There are plenty of positive lessons and examples that can be drawn from the sacrifice that the Confederate soldier made, and if nothing else, we should feel some empathy for those who did what they could to mark the graves of these unknown men with this monument. But empathy with the sorrows and losses of an earlier generation are in short supply these days. Judgment and condemnation are rampant. It's an ugly sight.
You will consume the product.
You will eat the bugs.
You will live in the pod.
You will own nothing.
You will be happy.
You will have no culture.

Or else.

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
Ernest Blevins is correct.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/historian-reacts-to-citys-decision-to-remove-confederate-sculpture

An historian has a message for the city of Atlanta leaders.​
Ernest Blevins contends the removal of a Confederate monument from a downtown cemetery will only encourage the kind of acts they want to prevent.​
Blevins is a member of the Sons of Confederacy as well as Union soldiers.​
--------------​
Blevins argues that removing the monument sends the message that crime succeeds.​
"That's what they want," Blevins said, "to get the monument out of there."​
But Councilwoman Smith said it is the intent of the council to preserve that monument because "the cemetery cannot station a guard by the Lion twenty- four hours a day.​

Yep. Not very long ago the U. of Wisconsin removed a huge boulder because generations ago it was referred to using a racial slur. So now simple rocks are offensive and have to be removed. These days I'd not be surprised by much of anything the cancel culture people would try to do.

As a cemeterian, I find the removal of monuments in a cemetery to be repulsive.
The rock known as the Chamberlin Rock named after geologist and former University president Thomas Chamberlin, weighs 70 tons and University of Wisconsin historians have found only a single racist reference to the rock and that was back in a 1925 article printed in the Wisconsin State Journal.