Restricted Atlanta to add context about racism to Confederate monuments

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
Georgia law bars the removal of such monuments.
Author: Associated Press Published: 8:35 PM EDT August 4, 2019 Updated: 6:21 PM EDT August 5, 2019
ATLANTA — Atlanta will soon add some vivid lessons about the South's racist history on markers placed next to four historic monuments amid the ongoing national debate over Confederate statues.
The first of the panels could be installed as early as Friday, officials said.
In Atlanta's Piedmont Park, the 1911 Peace Monument commemorating post-Civil War reconciliation will get context noting that its inscription promotes a narrative centered on white veterans, while ignoring African Americans.
Many white Southerners viewed the American Civil War through "the lens of Lost Cause mythology" following the defeat of Confederate forces.
"That mythology claimed that despite defeat, the Confederate cause was morally just," states the marker to be placed near the Peace Monument.
"This monument should no longer stand as a memorial to white brotherhood; rather, it should be seen as an artifact representing a shared history in which millions of Americans were denied civil and human rights," it states.
Georgia law bars the removal of such monuments. Other states with laws protecting Confederate monuments include Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.
PHOTOS: Confederate memorials at Ga. state Capitol
465060456_1140x641.jpg
465060500_1140x641.jpg

Rest of Article: https://www.11alive.com/article/news/atlanta-to-add-context-about-racism-to-historic-monuments/85-eb524c65-de96-4c27-bbdf-f5b7db79b398

465060500_1140x641.jpg

465060887_1140x641.jpg

465060456_1140x641.jpg

465060500_1140x641.jpg

465062061_360x203.jpg

465062206_360x203.jpg

465062343_360x203.jpg

465060456_360x203.jpg

465060500_360x203.jpg

465060887_360x203.jpg

465061250_360x203.jpg

465061695_360x203.jpg

465062061_360x203.jpg

465062206_360x203.jpg

465062343_360x203.jpg

465060456_360x203.jpg

465060500_360x203.jpg

465060887_360x203.jpg

465061250_360x203.jpg

465061695_360x203.jpg

jdb79

Private
By having the moral courage and dedicated calm to face historical facts, warts and all.

Like the man said, "History is not history, unless it is the truth."
The statement on the proposed marker is "That mythology claimed that despite defeat, the Confederate cause was morally just." The contextualizer implies that defeat is inconsistent with a just or moral cause. In what system of ethics is military defeat inconsistent with morality? It's a startling and bizarre thing to engrave even by modern standards: "only believers in 'mythology' would contend that a defeated enemy could be morally just."

We all understand why the marker is being erected now after 150 years of peace and reconciliation, but it might help the contextualizers if they had an editor who could explain the difference between winning a war and being morally justified.

Last edited:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
The statement on the proposed marker is "That mythology claimed that despite defeat, the Confederate cause was morally just." The contextualizer implies that defeat is inconsistent with a just or moral cause. In what system of ethics is military defeat inconsistent with morality? It's a startling and bizarre thing to engrave even by modern standards: "only believers in 'mythology' would contend that a defeated enemy could be morally just."

We all understand why the marker is being erected now after 150 years of peace and reconciliation, but it might help the contextualizers if they had an editor who could explain the difference between winning a war and being morally justified.
In my view, the realization that the Confederacy was not morally justified in bringing about a civil war for the purpose of protecting chattel slavery is finally catching up with that failed rebellion.

We should not attempt to 'lump in' the Confederacy's failed rebellion with every other attempt at rebellion, as though all were some sort of generic, one-cause-fits all, category.

The Confederacy's defeat must be remembered in context, not by a supposed "system of ethics" that excuses it's purpose in seeking secession.

Like I said, warts and all.

Unionblue

I admit that everything that I am about to say is just my opinion. After I post this, I am not going to post anything else on this thread. I really need to work on writing down some ideas that I want to express on my own blog, instead of getting into debates about Confederate monuments.

I have only been to Atlanta once. I accompanied my husband on his business trip. The trip lasted about one week. I visited the aquarium, CNN, the Margaret Mitchell House, and the Wren's Nest, aka the Joel Chandler Harris House. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell was my favorite book when I was 12 and 13 years old, and I have fond memories of my grandma reading to me Harris' many Br'er Rabbit / Uncle Remus stories. I also walked through that underground mall. This is basically all that I saw of Atlanta, along with some awesome restaurants. So I am no Atlanta expert.

However, I am under the impression that Atlanta hopes to attract global business investment and also hopes to attract global talent. I base this impression on such factors as the $1.7 billion total budget of the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games. The games happened in 1996, so I assume that this is $1.7 billion in 1996 money.

Even if this $1.7 billion didn't just come from the people of Atlanta, or Georgia, or even the United States, I am still under the impression that people put a lot of time, money, and effort into showcasing Atlanta to the rest of the world. Again, I am under the impression that people did this so that people and businesses around the world would be interested in investing money and human talent in Atlanta.

Well, in my opinion, it doesn't look good to the rest of the world for a city to have its government premises adorned with markers celebrating the leaders of a society in which white people enslaved and then disenfranchised non-white people. For instance, if I am a Person of Color who holds a controlling interest of shares in a multi-national company headquartered on the continent of Africa, why should I support this company's potential investment in a city full of monuments to a society that would have enslaved me? If I am a Person of Color who is also a leading cancer researcher, why should I agree to live in and raise my family in such a city?

I personally think that it's a positive idea to put signs pertaining to historical context next to monuments that might cause misunderstandings and / or controversy.

ErnieMac

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I admit that everything that I am about to say is just my opinion. After I post this, I am not going to post anything else on this thread. I really need to work on writing down some ideas that I want to express on my own blog, instead of getting into debates about Confederate monuments.

I have only been to Atlanta once. I accompanied my husband on his business trip. The trip lasted about one week. I visited the aquarium, CNN, the Margaret Mitchell House, and the Wren's Nest, aka the Joel Chandler Harris House. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell was my favorite book when I was 12 and 13 years old, and I have fond memories of my grandma reading to me Harris' many Br'er Rabbit / Uncle Remus stories. I also walked through that underground mall. This is basically all that I saw of Atlanta, along with some awesome restaurants. So I am no Atlanta expert.

However, I am under the impression that Atlanta hopes to attract global business investment and also hopes to attract global talent. I base this impression on such factors as the $1.7 billion total budget of the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games. The games happened in 1996, so I assume that this is $1.7 billion in 1996 money.

Even if this $1.7 billion didn't just come from the people of Atlanta, or Georgia, or even the United States, I am still under the impression that people put a lot of time, money, and effort into showcasing Atlanta to the rest of the world. Again, I am under the impression that people did this so that people and businesses around the world would be interested in investing money and human talent in Atlanta.

Well, in my opinion, it doesn't look good to the rest of the world for a city to have its government premises adorned with markers celebrating the leaders of a society in which white people enslaved and then disenfranchised non-white people. For instance, if I am a Person of Color who holds a controlling interest of shares in a multi-national company headquartered on the continent of Africa, why should I support this company's potential investment in a city full of monuments to a society that would have enslaved me? If I am a Person of Color who is also a leading cancer researcher, why should I agree to live in and raise my family in such a city?

I personally think that it's a positive idea to put signs pertaining to historical context next to monuments that might cause misunderstandings and / or controversy.
Well said.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
You know, Atlanta must be an awfully interesting city. We have a kind of guide/written documentary from the 1895 Exposition. Booker T.'s famous speech is in it as are speeches by various leaders, ACW vets among them. My ' signature ' here is a snippet from McKinley's speech. The onus was on rebuilding together, engineering unity across the board and a good look at how the city had done so far.

It seems like a continuum that Atlanta is still reaching for peace and making bridges of truth.

W. Richardson

Captain
I have no issue with additions to the narrative........................Next should be Lincoln's memorials. Additions to the narrative about his racist views, comments, and his White Supremacy comments and views.

As @unionblue, so well stated.............

By having the moral courage and dedicated calm to face historical facts, warts and all.

Like the man said, "History is not history, unless it is the truth."

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

W. Richardson

Captain
Who would be the best "honest ones" to provide such context?

I would venture forth to say those without a biased view on history, or an agenda. Someone who is acceptable of all history, and not someone that supports destroying icons of history they disagree with.

No one learns history, true history when it is a biased history.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.