Atlanta Roundhouse and Machine Shop

The picture of the Atlanta Roundhouse by George Barnard have som interesting features.
Does anyone know the modern location of this photo?

I am no expert on locomotives, so maybe someone can explain the types?

Atlanta_roundhouse_ruin3.jpg

A locomotive of the Atlanta & West Point RR, which ran south-west of Atlanta.
train 2.jpg

A locomotive named O.A.Bull. No sign of what RR it belonged too, but it seems like a much larger one than the others..
train 3.jpg

Two smaller locomotives without cow catchers.
train 9.jpg

Looks like som high ranking railroad executives on a flatbed car from the Georgia RR, which ran east from Atlanta.
train 1.jpg

A railroad worker on what appears to be the back half of a locomotive?
train 5.jpg

Family Groceries.
train 4.jpg

L Y N C ?
train 8.jpg

Railroad Bridge?
train 6.jpg

A pile of car wheels.
train 7.jpg

The image can be downloaded here. Unfortunately it's not high-res enough to read the small signs on the buildings in the backround.
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2008679857/

Last edited:
Very interesting, view #6 is a frontal view of the tender, where the fuel and water for the locomotive is stored.

View #3 is the Atlanta & West Point RR locomotive O. A. Bull, named for one of the road's Directors.

View #4 the 2 small locomotives without cow catchers are old ones that have been relegated to yard switching duties.

Last view the left and center wheels appear to be locomotive driver wheels. The stack on the right are old tyres, used on drive wheels to make the actual contact with the rail. They wear out and must be replaced every 10,000 or so miles. The ones taken off are used as scrap iron.

Please visit my web site: Confederate Railroads for more info www.csa-railroads.com

@DaveBrt I found the O.B.Bull locomotive on your page. Produced by Baldwin in 1859. :smile:
Do you know the name of the other Atlanta & West Point RR locomotive in the photo?

For those interested, here is a map that shows the locations of the various depots. I have encircled the roundhouse from the original photo in this thread..
Close-Up-of-a-map-of-Fortifications-drafted-by-LP-Grant-1863-U.S.-Library-of-Congress.jpg

@DaveBrt I found the O.B.Bull locomotive on your page. Produced by Baldwin in 1859. :smile:
Do you know the name of the other Atlanta & West Point RR locomotive in the photo?

For those interested, here is a map that shows the locations of the various depots. I have encircled the roundhouse from the original photo in this thread.. View attachment 213179
Sorry, I have not been able to make it out and its not clear from Federal records.

Back