Atlanta Campaign...in 1862?

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
When I started studying the Western theater, it surprised me that there were Union forces under Ormsby Mitchel in northern Alabama in 1862, close to Chattanooga and ultimately Atlanta, cities the Union would bleed and fight to gain over two long years. My premise is that Mitchel and Buell decide to move on to Chattanooga with the majority of their forces in summer of 1862, while Bragg is still at Tupelo. This assumes Buell takes a notion to be much more daring than he ever did historically, or is replaced by Thomas.

Didn't Buell move toward Chattanooga in 1862? But moved so slowly that Bragg's move toward Kentucky interrupted him.

I agree with the premise -- the war may have ended much sooner if Chattanooga had fallen in 1862.

Didn't Buell move toward Chattanooga in 1862? But moved so slowly that Bragg's move toward Kentucky interrupted him.

I agree with the premise -- the war may have ended much sooner if Chattanooga had fallen in 1862.
You're likely right, I should look at the chronology of all this again. The idea of a Bragg v. Buell Atlanta Campaign is quite interesting, it seems Bragg will do everything he can counterattack against Buell, though the terrain of north Georgia does lend itself to the defense.

Last edited:
Back