At the Beginning of the 1864 Campaign, Which Was the Better Army: the Army of the Potomac or the Army of the Cumberland?

Which was the better army: the Army of the Potomac or the Army of the Cumberland?

• Army of the Potomac

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Army of the Cumberland

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Can't make a decision

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JeffBrooks

2nd Lieutenant
When the 1864 campaign opened in the early days of May, 1864, the two largest and most formidable armies of the United States were the Army of the Potomac in Virginia and the Army of the Cumberland outside Chattanooga. The latter also had its smaller partner armies - the Army of the Tennessee and the Army of the Ohio - but it constituted the bulk of the force under Sherman's command.

Here's my question. Between the two, which was the better army? Which was better led on the various levels, which had a more professional and efficient staff, which had better logistics, and so forth?

When the 1864 campaign opened in the early days of May, 1864, the two largest and most formidable armies of the United States were the Army of the Potomac in Virginia and the Army of the Cumberland outside Chattanooga. The latter also had its smaller partner armies - the Army of the Tennessee and the Army of the Ohio - but it constituted the bulk of the force under Sherman's command.

Here's my question. Between the two, which was the better army? Which was better led on the various levels, which had a more professional and efficient staff, which had better logistics, and so forth?
I suppose we could look at CEVs for each armies major battles. We also would have to look at numerical and logistical advantages us differences in terrain.
Then if course we have to look to the quality of enemy leadership opposition I.e. Johnston/Cleburne vs Lee/Longstreet/Hill.
Lots of research no doubt before we can form an opinion.
Leftyhunter

At its most elementary military level, I would say, the AoP was the better suited, at almost all levels of military affairs, for long range strategic campaigns; While the ANV was better suited for short, sharp Military Tactical operations.

But, from the criteria cited by the OP, the correct answer would seem to be the AoP.

Back