Assessment of the Gettysburg Campaign According to Soldier Participants

Tom Elmore

Captain
Member of the Year
Part 1:

-This repulse is not at all discouraging to our army, for well do they know that they have been time after time victorious over the army that they fought on this occasion, and that the enemy had the advantage over them in position and supplies, and were encouraged to fight because we were invading their soil. (July 27 letter of Private W. B. Sturtevant, Company B, 8th Georgia, Museum of the Confederacy, Richmond, Virginia)

-The enemy suffered more at Gettysburg than we did, and although we failed to drive him from the Gibraltar he had chosen on the mountains, yet our infantry did all along the line get access to his, and his losses were far greater than ours. (July 12 letter of Captain George Hiller, 9th Georgia, published in Athens Southern Banner, July 23, 1863)

-I think we paid dearly for our trip into Pennsylvania. We gave 20,000 men’s lives for a few fine cattle, horses and wagons. I think our Confederacy is gone up the spout. They say old Lee is going back in Maryland. If he does I think it will end the war. Our men had most as soon die as to start back [into] Maryland. Our men is badly disheartened; they are beginning to think this war won’t end till we are all killed and it won’t take long if they make many such raids as this. (July 18 letter of George F. Robinson, Company A, 7th South Carolina, to his wife Elvira, Tennessee State Library and Archives)

-I think we are in a much worse condition than when we crossed the Potomac. It is true we got a great many cattle and horses, but taking all things together we made nothing by the operation. (July 15 letter of Surgeon Abram S. Miller, 25th Virginia, to Julia, The Handley Library, Winchester, Virginia)

-This victory [at Gettysburg] won … and the news of such successes as Vicksburg and Port Hudson lead us to believe the Rebellion is about squelched and will shortly collapse. (July 17 entry, diary of Almeron W. Stillwell, Company E, 5th Wisconsin, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison)

Fascinating to read these, with their diversity of viewpoints. Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but it emphasizes to me that, while this kind of source is invaluable, one letter or diary entry (or just a few) can't necessarily represent the overall picture. There were so many people involved, and each one's experience was unique.

Makes me think of a Spanish proverb: "Cada cabeza es un mundo." (Every mind is its own world.)

Roy B.

Part 2:

-The rebels thought we [Army of the Potomac] could not possibly get there [Pennsylvania] for three more days, and by that time, they expected to have things ready for us, but we did some tall travelling. … Had it not been for Joe Hooker’s good feeding last winter and spring we never could have done such marching. (July 6 letter of Private John L. Street, Company A, 145th Pennsylvania, to his parents)

-I was in hopes we would totally destroy the rebel army before they could get in Virginia again but they have escaped and I suppose we will have to follow them but I have strong hopes. Dear mother this war will soon be over. Three great victories in one week, Vicksburg, Port Hudson and Gettysburg. I don’t see how it can last much longer. (July 17 letter of John Stewart, 91st Pennsylvania, to his mother)

-We can see now that a splendid chance to whip the rebels was lost by not attacking them at Williamsport, for we could have punished them severely. I believe Hooker would have fought them. Everyone seems however to have every confidence in Genl. Meade; he is a careful Genl. (November 3, 1863 letter of Captain James Grindlay, 146th New York, to a friend; http://civilwartalk.com/threads/bought-a-book-found-a-nice-surprise.125433/)

-Everything seems to be going on right in every direction. Vicksburg fallen – and tonight we hear that Port Hudson has surrendered … Can we not see the beginning of the end? I think the Army of the Potomac would whip twice their number now they are so enthusiastic. (July 15 letter of Private James D. Chadwick, Company I, 10th Pennsylvania Reserves, to his father, sites.allegheny.edu/civilwarletters/tag/Gettysburg-battle-casualties/)

-We ought to have annihilated Lee’s army at Williamsport on Monday last, and I think we should if we had attacked him, but fallible beings cannot always penetrate far enough into the future to do and act just right. But notwithstanding Lee has eluded our grasp the old Army of the Potomac has again demonstrated to the world at large that upon its endurance and valor depends the safety of this government. We have not accomplished all that we could have desired in that we have allowed the enemy to withdraw any of his force from Maryland, yet we have met him upon the ground of his own choosing, and in a fair field fight have compelled him to retire leaving behind him not less than 30,000 of his veteran troops. (July 17 letter of 1st Sergeant/Captain Frank L. Lemont, Company E, 5th Maine, to his mother, Special Collections Department, Folger Library, University of Maine, Orono)

Some information on some of these guys:

Private John L. Street mustered out with his regiment in July 1865 having been promoted to corporal.

John Stewart was the 1st Sergeant of Company C at the time of Gettysburg and was commissioned a 1st Lieutenant in November 1863. On June 22, 1864, he was mortally wounded at Petersburg.

Captain James Grindlay finished the war as the colonel of the 146th New York and mustered out with the regiment. He was also awarded the medal of honor for his actions during the Battle of Five Forks when he took command of the brigade and led them into the Confederate works.

Private James D. Chadwick finished his term of service and went home in June 1864.

Ryan

Part 3:

-The Army of [Northern Virginia] lost heavily and is now in a poor condition for offensive operations. … Tis estimated by some that this Army has been reduced to at least one fifth of its original strength. Charleston is closely beset, and I think must surely fall sooner or later. The fall of Vicksburg has caused me to lose confidence in something or somebody, I can't say exactly which. And now that the gunboats from the Mississippi can be transferred to Charleston and that a portion of Morris Island has been taken and can be used to advantage by the enemy, I fear greatly the result of the attack. … Savannah will follow, and then Mobile, and finally Richmond. These cities will be a loss to the Confederacy. But their fall is no reason why we should despair. … It is my firm belief that we shall be victorious in the end. (July 18, 1863 letter of 1st Corporal Taliaferro N. Simpson, Company A, 3rd South Carolina to Virginia Miller, The Wartime Letters of Dick and Tally Simpson, Third South Carolina Volunteers, ed. by Guy R. Everson and Edward H. Simpson, Jr., NY: Oxford University Press, 1994, pp. 257-258)

-Our trip to PA was, as it turns out, rather an unfortunate one, but if Gen'l Lee had accomplished the object intended it would have been a grand thing, but perhaps it is the best as it is. … It is my opinion the war will close soon from the fact [that] neither England nor France wishes the union as it was. (August 10, 1863 letter of James Newton "Newt" Martin, Company E, 3rd South Carolina, South Carolina Relic Room and Military Museum, www.crr.sc.gov)

-I don't think Lee has gained anything by this fight, though we did not get whipped by a long shot, but Lee fought them in their own country and on their own choice of position, not having the means to carry back our wounded, and for several other causes. I think he had better let it alone and not fought them right here where he did. (Diary of 2nd Lieutenant James E. Green, Company I, 53rd North Carolina, Robert L. Brake Collection, U.S. Army Military Heritage and Education Center, Carlisle, Pennsylvania)

-I do not think our generals intended to invade except to get some of our negroes back which the Yankees have stolen, and let them know something about the war. (July 5, 1863 letter of R. A. Anderson, 1st Battalion North Carolina Sharpshooters, to his brother, Charles Anderson, Special Collections, Duke University Libraries, Durham, North Carolina)

-Vicksburg has fallen. Rosecrans has driven Bragg out of Tennessee, and our men are surrounding Lee. If our army is as victorious for the next three months as it has been of the last two months, I think the war will be over, at least I hope so. (July 9, 1863 letter of N. W. Parsons, Battery G, 1st New York Light Artillery, to his father, Mexico Independent, July 30, 1863)

Port Hudson sealed the river, for the most part on the south, as did Vicksburg on the north. The CSA could move supplies from Texas and coming from Mexico through the protected section with only opposition from a few Union gunboats that got past those fortresses' batteries. Port Hudson only surrendered after Vicksburg did. Banks and 30,000 troops never took Port Hudson and its 6,000 defenders. Its an interesting story. A good book on this, IMO, is "Port Hudson Confederate Bastion on the Mississippi" by Lawrence Lee Hewitt. The Port Hudson State Commemorative Area on US 61is well-preserved, and one can walk to many of the breastworks and lunettes.

Port Hudson sealed the river, for the most part on the south, as did Vicksburg on the north. The CSA could move supplies from Texas and coming from Mexico through the protected section with only opposition from a few Union gunboats that got past those fortresses' batteries. Port Hudson only surrendered after Vicksburg did. Banks and 30,000 troops never took Port Hudson and its 6,000 defenders. Its an interesting story. A good book on this, IMO, is "Port Hudson Confederate Bastion on the Mississippi" by Lawrence Lee Hewitt. The Port Hudson State Commemorative Area on US 61is well-preserved, and one can walk to many of the breastworks and lunettes.
Yes, I’m familiar with Port Hudson, though I never read that book - thanks for the reference!

I’m just surprised the battle is mentioned in the same company as Gettysburg and Vicksburg to these soldiers.

And as I understand it, despite the bungled attacks and the clever energetic defense, Port Hudson was pretty much on its last legs (in food and morale) when it finally surrendered. Perhaps the book you recommended will shed more light.

Still, it seemed the Union victory there made an impression on some percentage of the common soldiers.

Yes, I’m familiar with Port Hudson, though I never read that book - thanks for the reference!

I’m just surprised the battle is mentioned in the same company as Gettysburg and Vicksburg to these soldiers.

And as I understand it, despite the bungled attacks and the clever energetic defense, Port Hudson was pretty much on its last legs (in food and morale) when it finally surrendered. Perhaps the book you recommended will shed more light.

Still, it seemed the Union victory there made an impression on some percentage of the common soldiers.
Yes, all true. But it did outlast Vicksburg, and Banks would have had to take it. Facing Grant's army units moving south after Vicksburg to help Banks sealed the surrender by Gardner.

Thank you for sharing these first-hand accounts from the veterans of these battles! There is something so familiar to me regarding the different perspectives among soldiers within the same army. These accounts are so immersive.

While reading "One Continuous Fight" I learned much about Williamsport; I did not know anything in particular about it.

Obviously, we all know how the rest of the Civil War played out, but I was in suspense reading about how tight the margins were for both the Union and Confederate armies 😀.

I find it interesting that Port Hudson is so often mentioned in the same breath as Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
Strategically, the Siege of Port Hudson was a separate campaign from Grant's at Vicksburg. So, in fact, 3 separate Union Armies in 3 separate campaigns were almost simultaneously successful, unheard of in the ACW and certainly to the Union forces up to that time.

Back