Petersburg/Richmond Assembly of Beauregard's Force at Petersburg/ Drewry's Bluff 1864

Hi all,

Before I start researching, has anyone tracked how and when this force was assembled?
I can't say I have ever researched it, except as it came up in other reading. The following is from the Pickett Society website and might indicate the starting point:

In September 1863, Major General George E. Pickett was placed in charge of the Military Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia, which embraced military operations in southern Virginia and North Carolina and was responsibile for protecting the southern approaches to Richmond. General Pickett thus was the senior military officer present in Petersburg when Union General Benjamin Butler began the invasion of Bermuda Hundred during May 1864. The Confederate Signal Corps had warned Pickett at some point in November 1863 to expect a serious Union attack and, by April of 1864, they were able to give General Pickett specifics. An army of 36,000 men was about to invade the south bank of the James River between City Point and Bermuda Hundred.​
On April 23, General Pickett received orders to join his newly rebuilt Division and the main body of the Army of Northern Virginia. General P. G. T. Beauregard was to report to Petersburg to take over the Military Department of North Carolina. Beauregard, still in Weldon, North Carolina, knew of the intelligence reports about the Union invasion, and he sent word for Pickett to retain command until he arrived.​
On the evening of May 5, 1864, 36,000 Union soldiers began to disembark at City Point. General Pickett sent numerous telegrams to Richmond and to Beauregard, still in North Carolina, requesting an immediate increase of Confederate troops. Between May 5 and May 10th when General Beauregard arrived in Petersburg, General Pickett retained responsibility for defense of the area. During those five days, Pickett was either on horseback or at this headquarters in the Custom House.​
At noon on May 5th, General Pickett mustered the Petersburg City Battalion, which consisted of about 400 men, in front of the Custom House and ordered them to City Point. That afternoon Pickett mustered an additional 100-200 men and boys from the second class militia (boys younger than 17 and men older than 50) and sent them to the Ordnance House for arms. Altogether, there were no more than 600 armed Confederates to meet the enemy on May 5th.​

Hi all,

Before I start researching, has anyone tracked how and when this force was assembled?

From the OR (this is the order on the page, but does not appear to be the order sent):
WELDON, May 5, 1864.​
General BRAXTON BRAGG,​
Richmond, Va.:​

General Pickett reports enemy have reconstructed Grove's Wharf, eight miles from Yorktown. Evidently he thinks to make a depot there for cavalry supplies or embark troops for south side of James River. Ought not, then, Clingman's and Dearing's brigades be kept to guard Petersburg and vicinity?​
G. T. BEAUREGARD,​
General.​
[Indorsement.(*)]​
Clingman's and Dearing's have not been removed.​
=====​
WELDON, May 5, 1864--9.45 p.m.​
General BRAGG,​
General Pickett reports a large force landing at Bermuda Hundred. He asks for re-enforcements. Have none here to send him. Am using all possible dispatch to push the troops forward from North Carolina. I have directed General Pickett to communicate directly with you, in order to save time.​
G. T. BEAUREGARD.​
=====​
WELDON, May 5, 1864.​
General BRAGG,​

Your dispatch received at 11.15 p.m. All possible will be done.​

G. T. BEAUREGARD.​
=====​
WELDON, May 5, 1864.​
General BRAXTON BRAGG,​

Had already ordered General Pickett to concentrate the troops of his command. Had not the troops at Plymouth and Washington better be recalled, except half a regiment at each place?​

G. T. BEAUREGARD.​
=====​
WELDON, May 5, 1864--6.45.​
General BRAXTON BRAGG:​

The following just received:​

The following written dispatch just received from engineer station three miles below City Point from Capt. N. W. Small, of the Signal Corps, who went down on a reconnaissance: "There are two single-turreted monitors, one double-turreted monitor, three gun-boats, and about forty transports in the whole fleet. Two gunboats gone up Appomattox. Each transport will average 500 men. Some of the transports have horses on board. White and negro troops in expedition. They are landing at City Point, and have hauled down the Confederate flag and raised the Yankee flag."​
G. E. PICKETT,​
Major-General.​

Is it not advisable to stop Hagood's brigade at Petersburg? None of Hoke's troops have arrived at this point yet, and cannot for several days.​

G. T. BEAUREGARD.​
=====​
WELDON, May 5, 1864--10 p.m.​
General BRAXTON BRAGG,​

Am unfortunately too unwell to go to Petersburg to-night, but will do so to-morrow evening, or next day.​

G. T. BEAUREGARD​

Pickett starts communicating directly with Bragg on May 6th:
PETERSBURG, May 6, 1864.​

General B. BRAGG,​

Please order the line between this city and Richmond via Lynchburg to be kept open, and the necessary steps for the purpose to be taken. It is the only safe line. If this line cannot be kept open, cannot the line between this city and Richmond via junction of the South Side Railroad be kept open?​
G. E. PICKETT,​
=====​

General BRAGG,​

Please order General Hagood to communicate with me as soon as he reaches Port Walthall Junction.​
G. E. PICKETT,​
=====​

General BRAGG,​

The following has just been received:​
The enemy are in heavy force at Cobb's. About two regiments are stationary and the rest have moved toward the railroad.​
HYMAN,​
Sergeant, at Chaffin's.​
G. E. PICKETT,​
=====​

General BRAGG,​
Do you intend holding the railroad between this place and Richmond? I sent General Cooper eight or ten telegrams on yesterday, but received no reply. The enemy will try to cut the railroad to-day, advancing from Bermuda Hundred, I think.​
G. E. PICKETT,​
=====​

General B. BRAGG,​

GENERAL: I have sent forward Colonel Mercer with his men, 350, to Port Walthall Junction, according to your order this morning. Please send him your particular instructions. I suppose the other part of the brigade which left here last night is now there---3.30 p.m. Have sent a battery of artillery also.​
Respectfully, &c.,​
G.E. PICKETT,​
====​

General B. BRAGG and​
General BEAUREGARD:​

Following report just received from scout in the enemy's lines. It is reliable:​
My boat has just returned. The river was filled with steamers and schooners all day yesterday. Fully 200 sail went up, carrying at the very lowest estimate 40,000 men. These troops come mostly from Yorktown and are under command of Major-General Smith. Butler is with the expedition also. Their destination is supposed to be Petersburg. There is a report just in that 3,000 cavalry and seven pieces of artillery passed through Suffolk yesterday on their way up. All the cavalry have left this vicinity. All the Southern coast has been stripped of troops for this army, and negroes have taken their place. I will remain till the last moment, watching and reporting movements.​
G. E. PICKETT,​
Major-General.​
[ First indorsement. ]​
I have ordered Hunton's brigade, 1,700 strong, at Chaffin's farm, to re-enforce Drewry's Bluff, to be replaced by a brigade from Hanover Junction.​
S.C.​
[Second indorsement.]​
Above is a mistake. General Cooper told Colonel Clay to issue the order, but the latter had reason to omit to carry it out, partly because​
* * * * * * * * * *​
[NOTE.--Indorsements in pencil. Part omitted obliterated; about eight words and signature. Both indorsements appear to be in same handwriting.]​
=====​

General BRAXTON BRAGG,​

The following dispatch just received from the Blackwater line:​
The Yankee column, under Spear, are at Broadwater Ferry. Skirmishing has commenced. I feel confident that I shall be able to prevent a crossing.​
J. D. RADCLIFFE,​
Colonel, Commanding.​
G. E. PICKETT,​
=====​

General B. BRAGG,​

Your dispatch received. I have not one single cavalryman. There are only about 150 on the Blackwater, part of whom were ordered up. Will not get here before to-morrow.​
G. E. PICKETT,​
=====​

General BRAGG and​
General BEAUREGARD:​

Following telegram just received from Ivor:​
The enemy presented himself at Broadwater Ferry to-day and was driven away. They are burning every house between Suffolk and the Blackwater, from the character of the smoke from burning houses. He is marching with the intention of forming a junction with the force which landed on the James River. His strength is 3,000 cavalry and eight pieces of artillery on the Blackwater road, and some infantry on the Franklin road. If I had my regiment together I could cross the river and annoy him, but with my present force can only hold the ford.​
J. D. RADCLIFFE,​
Colonel, Commanding.​
G. E. PICKETT,​
=====​

General BRAGG,​

Radcliffe, commanding at Ivor, reports that Spear, with a large force of cavalry, probably 3,000, is on the way toward Petersburg, and will probably be somewhere near it to.night.​
G. E. PICKETT,​
=====​

General B. BRAGG,​

Will you please send General Hagood your instructions. I have ordered him to the junction, as directed by you. What forces are on the line of railroad between that point and Richmond? Answer at once.​
G. E. PICKETT,​
=====​
WILMINGTON, May 6, 1864.​

General S. COOPER,​
Adjutant and Inspector General, Richmond, Va.:​

Hagood's and half of Wise's have passed. As the rest of Wise's will not be here until to-morrow, I have sent on the furloughed men.​
W. H. C. WHITING,​

Last edited:
Here's what I have so far. It appears the orbat in the OR representing 5th-10th May is inaccurate, as brigades arrived after this.

Notes: Beauregard and Bragg believed Burnside's 9th Corps would join up with the 10th and 18th Corps. They were working to assemble a sufficient army to stop "Burnside" but were unsure where he would land. Beauregard believed he'd go for Petersburg (ref), so only half right.

Working Orbat ca. 15th May

General Beauregard

Artillery Reserve - 9 batteries

Ransom's Division
Gracie's Alabama Brigade - one regt gives timings, entraining from East TN on 27th April, and arriving in Richmond the next day. They had taken position between Petersburg and Richmond on the 5th May (ref)
Kemper's Virginia Brigade - arrived 9th (ref, book preview)
Barton's Virginia Brigade - were at Hanover Junction, and moved to Drewry's Bluff on the 6th (ref)
Hoke's NC Brigade - was besieging New Berne. Ordered to Petersburg 5th May, and arrived 9th May (ref)
3 Batteries
5th SC Cavalry

Hoke's Division
Corse's Virginia Brigade - arrived at Petersburg 12th from New Bern (ref)
Clingman's NC Brigade - at Peterburg (on the Blackwater river line) on the 5th May, along with the 29th Va (Corse's Bde) and a few odds and sods (ref)
Bushrod Johnson's Tennessee Brigade - was stationed at Chaffin's Farm and moved on the 5th to Drewry's Bluff, arriving at 0300 on the morning of the 6th (ref)
Hagood's SC Brigade - arrived from the south during the 6th, with some arriving after dark (ref). This was because they encountered the Federal advance at Walthall Junction and fought them.
51st NC (Evans' Brigade)
5 Batteries (4 of the Washington Arty, plus another created from spare guns and drafts from the infantry)
3rd NC Cavalry

Colquitt's Division
Colquitt's Georgia Brigade - 11th at Petersburg (ref)
Ransom's NC Brigade - 10th at Petersburg (ref)
3 Batteries
7th SC Cavalry

Whiting's Division
Wise's Virginia Brigade - They arrived at Hinksford (15 miles S of Petersburg) on the 7th and went to defend the river line (ref)
Martin's NC Brigade - Arrived at Petersburg on the 14th (ref)
Dearing's Cavalry Brigade (formed from 7th CS, 8th Ga, 4th Ga and 65th Ga, and 16th NC Bn)
4 Batteries (Reid's Bn)

Dept of Richmond
Hunton's Brigade
Maryland Line (2nd Md Inf, 1st Md Cav and 3 Btys)
4 Battalions of Garrison Arty plus a bty
10 more batteries in river fortifications

Evans'/ Elliot's Brigade (-) arrived at Petersburg 17th May (ref)

Infantry brigades already in the Richmond/Petersburg defences on 5th May: Hunton's, Gracie's, Barton's, Clingman's and Bushrod Johnson's, plus a few random regiments. All bar Hunton's were shuffled to face Butler immediately and were available on the 6th.
Arriving 6th: Hagood's
7th: Wise's
9th: Hoke's, Kemper's
10th: Ransom's
11th: Colquitt's
12th: Corse's
14th: Martin's
17th: Evans'

Last edited:
Back