Asking for help for Mother in law ancestors

dlavin

Sergeant Major
Well ya know, gotta do anything for the mother in law...

As a winter Covid project being stuck inside she is starting to create a family history/tree. It seems she has already done a large amount of work. But she found Some relatives that she believes enlisted in the Union army.

James Moore dob May 27 1841. Huntington, PA
Robert Castner(Casner) dob December 2, 1837 Mifflin County, PA. Died in Ennisville PA

Is there anyone out there would can help find any documents on these two? Not sure if more info is needed, if so just let me know what is needed and I will track it down.

Hoping to score some brownie points! Thanks all!

Robert Castner(Casner) dob December 2, 1837 Mifflin County, PA. Died in Ennisville PA
1602894373728.png
1602894408415.png

Re: James Moore from Huntingdon PA
There are 143 men listed with the name James Moore, James __ Moore, James More, etc. who served in Pennsylvania regiments. The companies that are listed in Bates' History of Pennsylvania Volunteers as forming in Huntingdon PA include
Company D, 5th Pennsylvania
Company I, 10th Pennsylvania
Company D, 205th Pennsylvania.
There is no James Moore listed in any of those regiments. Perhaps he served with a cavalry or artillery company? Or he could have served in a New York regiment?

Sorry she is a little slow, but she is working to get the information.

There is another she found

Perry Thompson McKinney
56th Pa Volunteers, Company H
Enlisted 1861, Discharged Feb 1865 (which seems odd to me...?)

Any information is much appreciated!

Sorry she is a little slow, but she is working to get the information.

There is another she found

Perry Thompson McKinney
56th Pa Volunteers, Company H
Enlisted 1861, Discharged Feb 1865 (which seems odd to me...?)

Any information is much appreciated!
I get the same info you have, Co. H, 56th PA. He did get a pension so you might could get a copy of his pension application from either the state or the National Archives. The official records I could find in Pennsylvania had very little. On one he's got no info. Another just says "not on muster out roll." I did find this card in the Civil War Veterans card file -

PerryMcKinney.png

This card, at Ancestry in the Pennsylvania Veterans Burial Cards, gives similar dates to what you had -

PerryMcKinney2.png

Find A Grave link for Robert Castner. His tombstone is inscribed 208th Pennsylvania, but 205th appears to be correct. The spelling in Bates is Casner and there is a William Casner in the same company. The 1860 Census shows William (age 26) and Robert (age 25) living with their parents, John and Isabella, in Armagh Township, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania. Robert Casner is listed as a shoemaker and John Casner as a master shoemaker.

Last edited:
Wow you are all awesome. She is very impressed. More info than she dreamed of. Haha I do t think she knew what she was getting when I said “I have a source”. Can’t thank you all enough

Back