Aside from the 146th NY, what 5th Corps regiments were still wearing zouave uniforms at Gettysburg?

Scott Hann

Private
It's my understanding that the 146th NY was the only regiment in the Fifth Corps wearing Zouave uniforms at Gettysburg. Are there any other Fifth Corps ones? Can anyone provide quotations direct quotes about their dress at Gettysburg? Thanks in advance!

I should have also mentioned that the 14th was in the 1st Corps at Gettysburg , not the 5th .

Do we have a date as to when the 146th New York got their uniform? I know that it was after the 5th New York's 3-year men were folded into the regiment (May 1863) but nothing beyond that.

The 140th New York received their new uniforms in January 1864 and the 155th Pennsylvania got their zouave uniforms after Gettysburg.

Ryan

Last edited:
Also, there weren't any others in the Fifth Corps at Gettysburg.

Ryan

Addendum: It appears that the 91st Pennsylvania were issued modified zouave uniforms when they were organized in late 1861. They wore dark blue jackets with yellow trim, sky blue trousers, and a red fez with a blue tassel.

Ryan

Last edited:
I know that Don Troiani did one of his uniform paintings of a soldier in the 146th. A Google search came up with a number of paintings and sketches.

Ryan

Do we have a date as to when the 146th New York got their uniform? I know that it was after the 5th New York's 3-year men were folded into the regiment (May 1863) but nothing beyond that.

The 140th New York received their new uniforms in January 1864 and the 155th Pennsylvania got their zouave uniforms after Gettysburg.

Ryan

They received their Zoauve uniforms on June 3, 1863, per “Campaigns of the 146th Regiment New York State Volunteers” by Mary Genevie Green Brainard, page 92. My 2nd ggrandfather was in the regiment.

I know that Don Troiani did one of his uniform paintings of a soldier in the 146th. A Google search came up with a number of paintings and sketches.

Ryan

They are a common subject for uniform plates. I think I have 6 or 7 color uniform plates of them in various books or individually uniform plates. One of our members posted a water color wirk in CWT art forum.

Back