Ashby, Turner CSA

sgtabj

Cadet
ASHBY, Turner CSA

Born October 23 1828, Fauquier Cty VA
Died June 6 1862, Harrisonburg VA
Pre-War Profession Businessman, farmer
War Service 1861 Capt. in 7th Virginia Cavalry, scouting duty, October 1861 Col., commanded Jackson's cavalry in the Shenandoah Valley campaign, May 1862 Brig. Gen., killed during Jackson's withdrawal from the Valley.
Notes His brother was murdered by a Union patrol in 1861.

Sgtabj,
You are the first individual I've encountered on this board, who has recognized Gen Ashby. My hat's off to you sir. Even though his military 'career', was short lived, he never the less, distinguished himself in his duty to the Confederate States. I grew up in the area of the Valley he 'roamed'. The exploits of General Turner Ashby, are legendary in the Shenandoah. This past April, I returned 'home' to visit his gravesite in Winchester, Va., where he and brother, Richard, are interd. I spent many years in Front Royal, Va. growing up and learning about two of the great hero's of the Valley........Ashby, and John Singleton Mosby.

Respectfully,
SgtCSA

Turner Ashby always sounded like a moviestar name to me and whenever I read/hear it I cn't help but think of the silverscreen!

30th,
His fame in the Shenandoah Valley, overshadows any movie star of his, or any other times. He was as charismatic as any movie star, and with a hundred times the valor.
I'm very surprised to hear that you know of him. Not many from the North, do.

Respectfully,
SgtCSA

j steele,
However, he's (Ashby), not very completly mentioned by many in any conversation brought up on this, or any other, board. He seems to be one of the 'forgotten' men of the Confederacy. I know a lot about him, simply because I grew up in the Valley, but outside of 'our' Valley, you very seldom hear about him, or his exploits. I attribute this mostly to the fact that he was killed early in the conflict.

The reputation he attained in such a short time, is a real credit to his ability, notwithstanding his sometimes being 'out of control', meaning, that he was much too reckless in his desire to 'avenge' his brothers death.

Now this is not meant to say that he is not mentioned in various publications or books, it's just I've not heard his name mentioned on this board or any other, and if it is, or has been, it's been more 'in passing', rather than talked about as a dashing figure or able lieutenant in the Confederate Army (Cavalry).

Regards,
SgtCSA

You've piqued my interest, SgtCSA. I'll make a note to look into him a little deeper rather than just checking his listing in "Generals in Gray."

Ole,
I'm glad I have piqued your interest. He is one man that has been largely overlooked, when it comes to the Confederate fighting man. As I have mentioned, he was killed early in the War,(June 6, 1862), hence, his lack of recognition, if you will, of his accomplishments. There was only one picture of Turner Ashby, known to have been taken, and that was taken after his death. I have one book written about Ashby, and to my knowledge, there are very few published, although I know of these 3, I am unaware of any more than that.

With respect,
SgtCSA

1.Anderson, Paul Christopher. Blood Image: Turner Ashby in the Civil War and the Southern Mind. A compellingly original biography of the graceful horseman and violent partisan warrior in the Virginia Cavalry. 1st edition. Louisiana State University Press, 2002.

2. Ashby, Thomas A. Life of Turner Ashby. Reprint. Morningside, 1988.

3. Bushong, Millard K. General Turner Ashby and Stonewall's Valley Campaign. 1st edition. Presentation copy signed by the author. McClure Printing Co., 1980.

In Gary Gallagher's Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1862 (2003), Peter S. Carmichael has a revisionist article entitled "Turner Ashby's Appeal."

Back