ENDED Artillery artifacts wanted

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan S.

First Sergeant
I am looking for artillery projectile related artifacts of any nature, but I will list my top picks that I would consider.

6 lb. or 12 lb. solid shot

Very large, or half shell fragments or such from Gettysburg.

Any cheap shell.

Canister balls from 12 pounder cannons, from battlefields.

I have a self inflicted spending limit of $125, including shipping. If instead you'd like to trade, I have a nice (but shankless) North Carolina Sunburst Coat button.

DSC_0341.jpg

You may be wondering why I don't want a fancy shell like an Archer, Mulane or something like that. The truth is, I'd love to have a 10 pounder Parrot or a 12 pounder Bormann, but my income consists of spotty ebay selling, and working for a friend, and I'm very frugal. I do have a Hotchkiss nose, so that's one shell off the list.

Offers will be considered, and may be turned down. Offers may be accepted too. Must be from a Covid-19 free home.

I have purchased some nice fragments form this dealer. He is honest and has good prices on small pieces. He usually doesn't have them on his web site you have to contact him and tell him what you are looking for. https://www.virginiarelics.com/relics-for-sale/civil-war-artillery/ I picked the ones below for under $25.00

View attachment 353394

View attachment 353395

I'll try that out.

Do you leave them as is, or clean them? I take a mini ball hammer, and tap away at all the rust that falls off. Then I take a steel wire brush to it, brush it off with soap and water with a toothbrush, wire brush it again, and seal it with WD-40.

1032873933 (1).jpg

Before

DSC_0114.jpg

After

I'll try that out.

Do you leave them as is, or clean them? I take a mini ball hammer, and tap away at all the rust that falls off. Then I take a steel wire brush to it, brush it off with soap and water with a toothbrush, wire brush it again, and seal it with WD-40.

View attachment 353421

Before

View attachment 353422

After
I left them as is, but now i am considering cleaning them up, Where did you get the tip about WD40? I think I will try that.

Before
After

Wow, that came out great -- beautiful piece after cleaning it up!

Roy B.

I left them as is, but now i am considering cleaning them up, Where did you get the tip about WD40? I think I will try that.

WD-40 is an oil lubricant/sealant. It prevents rust, and gives it a smoother sheen to it if it was left untreated. I spray the frag or whatever I'm preserving, generously with the WD-40, then wipe the excess off. I'll get a picture of some of my frags that I've cleaned.

DSC_0991.jpg
DSC_0992.jpg

These are frags that I've cleaned with my method. Before, they were all encased with good amounts of rust on them. As you can see, there is a little bit of rust remaining, and that's stuff I couldn't get totally off with the hammer I have. At any rate, they look twice as better than before, and are preserved.

WD-40 is an oil lubricant/sealant. It prevents rust, and gives it a smoother sheen to it if it was left untreated. I spray the frag or whatever I'm preserving, generously with the WD-40, then wipe the excess off. I'll get a picture of some of my frags that I've cleaned.

Well here's another example of the many uses of WD-40!

Roy B.

View attachment 353495View attachment 353496

These are frags that I've cleaned with my method. Before, they were all encased with good amounts of rust on them. As you can see, there is a little bit of rust remaining, and that's stuff I couldn't get totally off with the hammer I have. At any rate, they look twice as better than before, and are preserved.
Picking up a can of WD40 tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back