Artifact Collection

Kurt G

Sergeant Major
You guys are breaking my heart! I too am the "family historian" and have given much thought about where everything will go after I'm gone. I would like my genealogy stuff to be donated to our local archives. I am lucky that we have a wonderful Veterans Museum so my Civil War related books could be donated to their library. Of course that's if anyone in the family doesn't want it which is highly likely. I can't bear the thought! I guess you could always put in writing, such as a will. Family history as well as Civil War history is just too important to be lost.
My late father did genealogy for his paternal side of the family back to about 1690. Luckily I have a cousin who is interested in this and I am sending him some items soon . There is absolutely no interest in his maternal side ( one Civil War ancestor) or my mother's side ( 4 Civil War ancestors).

bayonet

Corporal
Texas Johnny your not alone. Only one of my daughters has interest in apart of my collection. The Rev War swords I have well fanned out on display on the Wall (yeah I admit it looks good!). She talks about putting it in her family room etc. The rest of the collection I don't know but hey it was my interest the same as yours there Texas for you, we enjoyed it. What happens to it when were gone we can't control. My Mother's time is coming soon and she is driving us nuts. Mailing us worthless stuff because she really has nothing of value to leave us (like I always said "The Irish don't inherit s%&t") and probably feels bad. My Wife recently helped a family whose Mother was meeting her end. When it came the Wife helped the Daughter clean the Condo out for resale. She was shocked at the stuff she threw out photo albums, furniture, etc. If it was wasn't gold, diamonds, or cash she tossed it. Gave my Wife fine Crystal and Sterling Silver items. Yeah put it up for auction Texas then use the money to take the Wife on a nice vacation if you can. Hawaii is open during this Virus but being overrun right now by Tourists that can't travel elsewhere. Or go buy that $500 bottle of wine or $750 bottle of Cognac and tell us if it tastes good (I always wondered) or is it over rated. We can't sweat over what we can't control.

Texas Johnny

Corporal
Texas Johnny your not alone. Only one of my daughters has interest in apart of my collection. The Rev War swords I have well fanned out on display on the Wall (yeah I admit it looks good!). She talks about putting it in her family room etc. The rest of the collection I don't know but hey it was my interest the same as yours there Texas for you, we enjoyed it. What happens to it when were gone we can't control. My Mother's time is coming soon and she is driving us nuts. Mailing us worthless stuff because she really has nothing of value to leave us (like I always said "The Irish don't inherit s%&t") and probably feels bad. My Wife recently helped a family whose Mother was meeting her end. When it came the Wife helped the Daughter clean the Condo out for resale. She was shocked at the stuff she threw out photo albums, furniture, etc. If it was wasn't gold, diamonds, or cash she tossed it. Gave my Wife fine Crystal and Sterling Silver items. Yeah put it up for auction Texas then use the money to take the Wife on a nice vacation if you can. Hawaii is open during this Virus but being overrun right now by Tourists that can't travel elsewhere. Or go buy that $500 bottle of wine or $750 bottle of Cognac and tell us if it tastes good (I always wondered) or is it over rated. We can't sweat over what we can't control.
Some great advice bayonet! I do need to treat my wife, after all she has put up with me, dragging her to battlefields, relic shows, and allowing me to indulge in my historical passion. Thanks again!

bayonet

Corporal
Some great advice bayonet! I do need to treat my wife, after all she has put up with me, dragging her to battlefields, relic shows, and allowing me to indulge in my historical passion. Thanks again!
Then go with the $500 bottle of wine if ya can't travel. A Woman would probably choose the wine over the Cognac. I'll have to put that on my bucket list.