Arrest records?

@Zella if you haven't already read it, you might find some information in here. Seems like the 64th NC was dealt some unusual assignments and had pretty unorthodox history.
Histories of the several regiments and battalions ... v. 3. Clark, Walter, 1846-1924.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433081797668;view=1up;seq=775

This is not the information youre looking for but you might like to have it. Its not in his regular carded records of the 2nd Battn or the 64th but you guessed it -- from Miscellaneous files.
View attachment 296515
Thanks, Laura! That's definitely him! The physical description matches the one in his CSRs. And that 20th of March date makes a lot more sense timeline-wise.

Yes, Candler.
I'm looking at his CSR and his detached service ends on Aug 30. It's for a roll dated in November but for the period of July and August. The next roll is dated February but specifically lists his arrest/confinement as being Aug 31-December. I guess I'm confused?

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, there's a note on one of his records--toward the back of his CSR--that he says he deserted March 4/5, but I don't know how he could have deserted that day and been in Louisville to take the oath the next day. In any event, it seems like early March was pretty chaotic for the unit.
That was "deserting" - he pledged the oath rather than remain in prison until paroled and exchanged. There's also a note saying he was released on his pledge to remain north of the Ohio river.

I'm looking at his CSR and his detached service ends on Aug 30. It's for a roll dated in November but for the period of July and August. The next roll is dated February but specifically lists his arrest/confinement as being Aug-December. I guess I'm confused?
Well it looks like he was paid for the period of confinement/arrest? I think I saw pay record for July -Oct 1862 in the cards of the 2nd Battn?

Well it looks like he was paid for the period of confinement/arrest? I think I saw pay record for July -Oct 1862 in the cards of the 2nd Battn?
Yeah the whole thing is just crazy. I can't figure out what in the world he did that would necessitate a 4-month-long confinement/arrest but wouldn't stop him from being paid or becoming company commander within a couple of months of his release.

Yeah the whole thing is just crazy. I can't figure out what in the world he did that would necessitate a 4-month-long confinement/arrest but wouldn't stop him from being paid or becoming company commander within a couple of months of his release.
If we were to see those actual muster sheets, I think the mystery would be solved. That's why I always look for primary source documents. In school, there was roll call every day. But think of a muster roll in the 1860's this way: once every two months, a company muster roll was filled out. Notes were made on that big sheet for different things that happened during the two month period. Sometimes the paperwork did not get done on time, and a record was created later for that period. I'm thinking Candler could have been confined anywhere from one day (Feb 4) up to any number of days between Nov. 24 and Feb 4. That may be wrong, but kinda makes sense to me. We need to ask how confederate muster rolls worked. Someone on the forums should know - maybe even come up with a digital muster roll.

Yes, I understand that about the muster rolls, but they are quite precise in dating his confinement period, even if they were done after the fact. I have no reason to doubt his confinement was August to December 1862 as stated on his CSR.

Yes, I understand that about the muster rolls, but they are quite precise in dating his confinement period, even if they were done after the fact. I have no reason to doubt his confinement was August to December 1862 as stated on his CSR.
OK. I guess we'll need to agree to disagree for now - and still be on good speaking terms. :smile:

Based on that, would you say he was on detached service for the entire time from July 15th through August 30th?

Zella,Is there anyone in the 64th that you were not related to? :smile:
Was Candler a physician? Is he related to the author Rash? It has been awhile since I have studied the 64th.
Regards, James.

Not to have been engaged in any major battle that I know of the 64th certainly has a fascination to it. I suspect that like my Unionist ancestors in the 3rd TN Mounted Infantry USA. It has to do with some of its colorful members. On the 3rd's Webpage it says that some of the members were "irregular in organization and conduct ", or something to that effect.

Check out the date in the remark section compared to muster roll dates.
William Cody 64th muster roll.jpg

Wasn't the 62nd NC recruited from men close to the same area as the 64? I believe elements of both that didn't surrender at the Cumberland Gap pursued Kirk and other Unionist units later in the war.

Back