Arnhem and Gettysburg

The analogy is there, but it breaks down fairly quickly.

The Arnhem strike involved several thousand paratroopers and glider assault forces inserted into Holland with the idea that they would keep an hold that territory until the main force could come up as well. For the most part, this succeeded, even overcoming some questionable drops. These forces were largely self sufficient for several days.

Also, there was no intent to abandon any of the territory thus acquired. If it failed to capture a Rhine crossing, it failed altogether. Either way the Allies were going to Berlin, this just would have made it sooner.

Nobody pretends Lee had the strength to hold much of southern Pennsylvania - the value was psychological with an outside chance to make something of it.

I keep seeing Bastogne as a better parallel - nobody intended for that town to become the centerpiece of the German advance, it just happened and thus derailed the Axis plans.

An aside, if I may. My 7 yr old son and I were watching "A Bridge Too Far" last night, which he thoroughly enjoyed. You should have heard him this morning explaining the battle to his mother - all about the three bridges and the British being surrounded and surrendering.

Once he learns to type, look out CivilWarTalk!

Longstreet and Sosabowski

There is one more point of the analogy between Gettysburg and Arnhem. In the aftermath of both operations, undeserved scapegoats were created out of good generals. Gettysburg- James Longstreet, and Arnhem- Stanisław Franciszek Sosabowski (commanding The Polish 1st Independent Parachute Brigade). They were both unjustly accused of criticizing their principals, and of being unenthusiastic about the attack.

Just a thought, not from a tactical standpoint.

Back