army of the west

how long would it have lasted without forrest and Cleburne?
While these two are perhaps the shining stars of the organization, there still were enough good officers to have carried them along-that said, the organization did seem to have more than it's share of duds and rejects.

Who knows? If you're listing greats out here in the west (particularly including the Trans Mississippi Theater), you should add J. O. Shelby. They were all great leaders. I realize Shelby might not be considered a member of the "Army of the West." Welcome from Missouri, where Shelby continues to be honored as a great leader.

Who knows? If you're listing greats out here in the west (particularly including the Trans Mississippi Theater), you should add J. O. Shelby. They were all great leaders. I realize Shelby might not be considered a member of the "Army of the West." Welcome from Missouri, where Shelby continues to be honored as a great leader.
i have read the history of joe shelby, i believe he was pretty much the equal of forrest. also, what about lt. genl. richard taylor? the man did much with very little support. whom i believe i am a descendant of. still trying to get some corroboration on that.

Back